Ash catcher ideas?

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My basket is square 13x13. A 16" pizza pan covers most of the basket except for the very corners. I figure if I am going to go to the trouble to build an ash catcher I might as well catch 100% of the ash. Trouble is you can't find a cheap 18" pizza pan anywhere except online and they want a fortune to ship. Anyone have any cheap easy ideas for an ash catcher?

I made this outta the bottom of another 55 gallon drum I had works great just wish I wouldn't have attached it to my basket

Last edited:
That is a nice idea! I think I will stop and pick up another $5 drum tomorrow. Thanks!

If it helps I made a card board template than transferred it to the drum somthing you may want to do. I bent the edges up using a bench vice and a couple pieces of 2x4

Fwismoker made one out of a extra lid.

Yea that^^^^ Ithought i showed you the drum lid one i made..... Or cut out the bottom of a drum and bend up the edges

I built one much like the one above with a left over, but honestly I don't even use it. I shop vac out the ash and get smokin

Burn lump and don't worry about ash. I vacuum mine out about every 10th cook. :becky:

My basket is square 13x13. A 16" pizza pan covers most of the basket except for the very corners. I figure if I am going to go to the trouble to build an ash catcher I might as well catch 100% of the ash. Trouble is you can't find a cheap 18" pizza pan anywhere except online and they want a fortune to ship. Anyone have any cheap easy ideas for an ash catcher?

Try food service warehouse.

They have 18" pizza pans including deep dish pans.

A half size sheet pan is exactly 13" (by 18"). See attached. That might work, but sometimes they measure differently from inside to outside so I recommend taking a tape measure to the store.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/half-size-aluminum-sheet-pan-2ct/132731.ip

Another idea (cheap and disposable) is oven liners. not sure why these show as $36.80 on the Walmart site. They are a couple of dollars for a 2 pack.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Oven-Liners-2pk/14913227

+1 to Food Service Warehouse. I use them for all kinds of crazy stuff. FYI, their shipping rates are a better value when ordering multiple items at once.

Burn lump and don't worry about ash. I vacuum mine out about every 10th cook. :becky:

I want to edit this. I just google searched lump charcoal and realized it was at major stores like wal mart ect. It's been there all along and I never noticed it.

Last edited:
I used the seat portion of an old metal folding chair to catch ashes.

Back