MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Mvillesmoker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Question about Pig Candy

I have read a lot of comments about pig candy. What is pig candy and how do you make it? Very Curious
Mvillesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
infantry66
On the road to being a farker

i believe that it is when you take bacon sprinkle it generously with brown sugar and the n add crushed red pepper and smoke i usually use cajun seasoning instead of red pepper but i have been known to use ground red pepper

Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
misterrachel

That sounds mighty tasty!
misterrachel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
infantry66

try doing that to bacon and wrap it around a fatty

Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Mvillesmoker

I've seen pics on here before but never knew how it was made. Sounds good I will definately have to give it a try. Thanks for the info.
Mvillesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
infantry66

no problem. just remember the bacon will not get crunchy because of the sugar

Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Actually the sugar will set up if allowed to cool. The problem is that it is not around long enough to set.

A good ratio to start with is 1 cup brown sugar to 1 tsp cayenne pepper. Adjust to your taste. Also be aware that this will produce quite a bit of grease and it does not take a lot to burn even at the low temps.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Another version is 2 cups brown sugar, 1 cup BBQ rub & 1/2 cup crushed red peppers. As always, adjust the pepper to taste ;>)
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just throwing this out since no one referenced how much bacon was being done. We just cook the bacon for about 1/2 hour first to soften it up. Then a nice layer of brown sugar with a light dusting of ceyanne pepper, if you want, then back on the smoker to crisp up the bacon. It may take a little time, just keep checking as the determining factor if the temp. Just get the bacon somewhat crisp. Adjust the pepper to your taste but this is a good starting point. Don't worry about measurements for pig candy, make it to your taste. Just trying to use some common sence here. Good luck bro and let us know what you decide to do and how it comes out.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #10
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
Just throwing this out since no one referenced how much bacon was being done. We just cook the bacon for about 1/2 hour first to soften it up. Then a nice layer of brown sugar with a light dusting of ceyanne pepper, if you want, then back on the smoker to crisp up the bacon. It may take a little time, just keep checking as the determining factor if the temp. Just get the bacon somewhat crisp. Adjust the pepper to your taste but this is a good starting point. Don't worry about measurements for pig candy, make it to your taste. Just trying to use some common sence here. Good luck bro and let us know what you decide to do and how it comes out.
Sounds delicious!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #11
JD McGee

I use 1lb thick sliced bacon...1 cup brown sugar...1/2 teaspoon cayenne. Mix the cayenne with the sugar...lay out the bacon on a broiler pan and top each strip evenly with the brown sugar/cayenne rub. Smoke @ 275-300 until the sugar caramelizes and the bacon is cooked through.

Check out this thread for more info... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=pig+candy

Here's another article from TVWBB... http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/bacon1.html

Last edited by JD McGee; 01-06-2010 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: can't type for chit...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #12
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Pig Caandy?
Here ya go:

Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #13
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassbbq View Post
Pig Caandy?
Here ya go:
Now I have to dry out my keyboard from all the drool.

BBQ is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill (deceased), CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit, Weber Performer
Grafixgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
NotaButtDave

I just take a pound of bacon. Put on the WSM at 225* for 1 1/2 hours. One lemon sized piece of Cherry and one of Hickory.

That's all it takes. The bacon lasts about an hour around my house.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
Yeah I wait until the turn before adding the spiced up sugar too.

When they are cooked flat they resemble jerky or the slices can be knotted and are called Pig Tails.

I think the standard ratio I follow is : (it doesent take much cayenne)

1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Set up your cooker for an indirect cook with a grate temp around 300° with a drip pan. Lay strips of bacon on the grate above the drip pan for 20 minutes, turn and rotate bacon as needed, season with the sugar mix, then cook around 20 minutes minutes more.

For making Pig Tails, remove the bacon from the cooker after 20 minutes, tie in a loose overhand knot, season with the sugar mix and return to the cooker to finish.

Monitor doneness after turning for your level of crispness. Don't sample right off of the pit, that sugar will be hot!! Remove to platter for cooling. Don't wait for the strips to be completely crisp before removing, as they will firm up during cooling.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote