Another Frozen meat question (butts)

Wager

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've got a butt left over from this weekend that I stuck in the freezer and the plan is to start thawing it out in the fridge 3 days before the next comp. Two questions: is 3 days enough time to thaw an 8lb butt in the fridge and would you use a previously frozen butt in a comp?

I use previously frozen all the time with no apparent negative effect. I give them 5 days to thaw.

yup 5 days to thaw. I put mine in on sunday and should be thawed by thursday.

Another in the 5 day boat here. But make sure it isn't in the coldest part of the fridge or it could be longer. I gave a butt 5 days once and it was in the very back and was still pretty solid on the 5th day. Maybe I need a new fridge :crazy:.

Won't use frozen pork for comp. Always use fresh. I think the texture changes when it has been frozen.
Eggspert

Just my .02, but for a comp which you pay hundreds of bucks to compete in, I'm paying 10-15 bucks for a fresh butt before using a frozen. It is extremely rare that frozen will be superior to unfrozen/fresh and why take the chance? Thaw that butt next time you wanna backyard.

I guess that frozen butt was the reason my pork scored 179.4286 in Miami OK this year instead of a 180. Really does'nt make a difference if you cook it right I use frozen meat in contests all the time.

This doesn't mean you can't do it and it doesn't mean that you can't do well in a contest w/ frozen. I guess I go by the mantra of "all other things equal, fresh > frozen" For a single butt, why not go buy one for 10 bucks?

Back