• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

NKC and Judges

David, I know of several MASTER cbj's that tried to get in and couldn't even get a response from the organizers. :confused:

Whats bad is I remember several CBJ's here saying that they couldn't get in to judge or no returned calls. Looking at the results on the KCBS site I noticed they had 40% cbj's. Thats pathetic and hope more see this when thinking about returning.

I agree!!

I won't be doing any thinking about returning :sick:
I agree!!!
Wasn't just the judging....I had someone ask me if I wanted ice once Friday afternoon when setting up, that's it.......trash pickup once also........come to speak of it I never even had anybody even in my site except for meat inspection....(not even a KCBS rep to verify time or what-not :tsk:)

I agree!!!
(not even a KCBS rep to verify time or what-not :tsk:)

My wife mentioned the same thing about the time. It is not a very organized contest at all. The vending was horrific. They had wooden tokens but no signs to tell patrons where to get them. We got turned in for taking cash (which we didn't accept cash) Then the guy that was giving out the tokens on friday night left at 900pm and didn't tell us, when he was supposed to be there until 1100pm. You better believe we took cash after we found out he left us high and dry.

I saw a few post where CBJ where turned down. There is no excuse for that and the KCBS should do something about contest that turn down CBJ's This is the second year we have gone to NKC. It is fun to get out after the long winter, but why go there MAD and leave MADDER :mad2:

NKC has never had many CBJs - they have area "celeb" judges, and don't tend to care if they get a lot of CBJs. I've sworn off cooking that comp years ago - and I hear the same thing every year.

They are much more focused on the other snake sat. events. Cooks have always been second on the list. Did they give away scores this year, or say they would mail them?

One of these years I will line up some sponsors and host a comp on the same weekend. lol Sorry you guys had the poor experiences. I am not surprised, but as long as that comp has been around, I had hoped it was doing better these days.

40% is BS! I have talked to two people in that room and when asked how many were CBJ's one person told me 10 raised their hands. Another said "maybe 12". Either way, best possible percentage is 11% CBJ. I had a good time (busy though) at the event but I won't be back. Took two years to learn my lesson. Also, the crappers on our side (behind the bowling alley) were left unattended all weekend. Not only were there just two in the whole area for maybe 25 teams, one was completely full (I mean up to your ass if you sat on it!) and the other was covered in puke where someone ralphed all over the rim! Still that way as we headed to awards on Saturday. What are we? Animals? Seen shelter animals treated better sanitation-wise.

Last edited:
I understand all the arguments about how high CBJ percentage doesn't always mean a fairly judged contest, but for me it's just another metric when deciding whether or not to go. Unfortunately, we only really have the previous year's percentage to go by, which the KCBS website stated at 80% for 2010. Had it been at 40% for 2010, we would have thought a little harder about it. On the other hand, It was really nice nice getting out early in the year and getting the cobwebs dusted off! Had a great time as well catching up with friends!:becky:

Just looking in from the outside....

I have seen a LOT of complaints about this contest. Looks like it has years of complaints. So tell me this- How do they get 104 teams to show up and many of them are "high profile" teams???

This just burns my ass my first comp. and this is the crap i get to deal with.....lesson learned....never again unless it is 90-100% CBJ

Polar Swine!!!

One of these years I will line up some sponsors and host a comp on the same weekend. lol Sorry you guys had the poor experiences. I am not surprised, but as long as that comp has been around, I had hoped it was doing better these days.

I say you have the polar swine next year on the same weekend!!!

We learned our lesson last year with the fiasco we had parking my RV there. It is a poorly run contest. Awards are always late. I have never gotten a score sheet from them. My wife did not want to do it last year, but I wanted a tune up before North Little Rock. When wen left I said I would never cook that one again. I know other people that thought the same. Where was the defending champ? But then why does this contest get over 100 teams? Cabin Fever, BBQ comp withdraws. Everybody is jonesing to cook and this is the first one. This contest will never change until people vote by NOT showing up. That might get their attention, but maybe not, they are not the sharpest group.

Andy, if you had a comtest that weekend you KNOW we will be there cooking.

Just looking in from the outside....

I have seen a LOT of complaints about this contest. Looks like it has years of complaints. So tell me this- How do they get 104 teams to show up and many of them are "high profile" teams???

For me it has to do with timing and location. Where I live many of the early contests are way too far away to justify driving to them. KC is about at my outer limits. I am ready to get going and this contest was the closest and the soonest one I could get in to. I'm with Ryan. This was a good excuse to cook the cobwebs out of a smoker I haven't used much lately. Now if I get the same results at Jeff's contest there will be a Jambo for sale come mid-June! :wink:

Reading this thread has been instructive. Thank you to everyone.

Sounds like a very efficient way to ruin the reputation of a contest and put it's future in question.

This contest has been getting bad press and bad reviews by the cooks for as long as I can remember. We cooked it ONCE in 2004 and hated the contest...haven't cooked it since. However, it still gets over 100 teams every year - even many of the teams that complain about how bad it is.

Carlyle, if you would have been at the contest and experienced the whole event, you would believe me when I say that the comments above were kind to the organizers. I had considered not returning next year even before the contest started due to extremely poor communication with the organizer, but after cooking the weekend observing the sanitary conditions, experiencing the poor service, and seeing the especially the low percentage of CBJ's, I will not be returning!

As for the contest's reputation, I think they lived up to it - I hear the same feedback every year (at least this year they handed out the score sheets). I have not seen one comment that has been untrue or out of line. The only thing this contest can do for their reputation is try harder. Even under new "management" for the last couple year's, their reputation has not improved.

I can do a St. Paddy's day practice cook at home and save the frustration and entry fee. However if I see a pledge from the organizer next year that they will treat us like professionals and provide at least 90% CBJ's, I might reconsider, but at this point I don't see that happening.

on onother site someone said judges gave out some 4-5s or 5-6s on the kids Q,come on ....my kids wont enter,athough any kids that enter should be given 8-9s,they are all winners for trying......i heard 48 cbjs

I heard this event was a state of the art.

When 2nd place chicken gets a 23.something from one judge ... and 77th chicken gets a 36 from another judge it does make you wonder. And it's even more of a feat for those who did well to overcome the consistent inconsistencies of the judging.

Last edited:
Back