wow just wow

I had a similar situation last year. The booth next to ours was selling frozen brisket from Sam's. I had our smoker going all day. People walked past them. Something about the smell of real BBQ smoking.

Tale of the till, do your bragging once the profit is counted. This isn't competition BBQ, it is business, and at the end of the day, what if he outsells you?

We love to preach to the choir here, but, most folks want saucy smoky porky goodness and they could care less if that $6 sandwich is from a smoker, or a crock pot. Knock em dead, but, from the trenches, I have seen some crappy food sell great and some great food sell poorly.

Throwing onions on the coals???
What does that do?
Never even heard of it.

It smells good. :thumb:

Having a good smell seems to help a lot in moving some grub. I have done and will be doing pulled pork for a fundraiser at my kids' school - I do the PP ahead of time due to logistics but I do MOINKs on site to get "that smell" in the air. Works great! The smell of BBQ is about the best sales tool there is besides word of mouth.

OP - WOW. I sure hope you put the hurt on em and made some money and he got to try your 'Q and see what real 'Q is about.

I cook everything on site when I'm vending, but I do keep a fire rolling with smoke flowing whether I'm cooking something or hot holding in the pit...let's em know I'm legit :)

OP - WOW. I sure hope you put the hurt on em and made some money and he got to try your 'Q and see what real 'Q is about.

I cook everything on site when I'm vending, but I do keep a fire rolling with smoke flowing whether I'm cooking something or hot holding in the pit...let's em know I'm legit :)

we also smoke everything fresh on site.

We had an ok day on Thursday Friday was! Alot better. We done $200 in 20 minutes at one point. We will see what happens on Saturday which is the last day and suppose to be the biggest day. Will try to post pictures later if one of us has time to take them.

I was having a conversation with a guy today that will be vending at a local festival next weekend that I will be vending at. He asked me what I was going to be selling so I told him Pulled Pork and brisket. He says with a straight face I'm doing bbq also. I said that awsome what kind of smoker are you using? he says, I don't have a smoker I am putting it in a crock pot and adding my seasoning that makes it taste like it was cooked out doors!:tsk: :crazy:
Needless to say I had to get away from him before I laughed at him.

REALLY!!!

Come on MAN!!

crazy fella, Needless to say He just wants the work to be done. irrespective of whats the principle to do that.

He's a lazy fraud. There's a lot of that going around nowadays. The last time I ate at a catered BBQ event I threw the plate in the trash. I couldn't eat the slop. Poorly electric cooker cooked "BBQ" with zero smoke very poorly and only slightly reheated with propane on site, canned beans, Costco cookies, and Giant food cole slaw. It was an abomination.

There should be a law against that stuff.

Hey! :mad2:

Costco's oatmeal raisin cookies around here are GREAT!

i was giong to post pics here for all to see but I don't have that option here in this forum. I do want to tell everyone that after the Faux-q was put on the menu and people started talking about my real smoked bbq the fake stuff was pulled off the other guy's menu and not sold. :shock:

I went to a very large BBQ competition this summer. My family and I ordered a rib plate from the best looking trailer in the vending area. They put the pork on the plate and then opened a cooler and got store bought coleslaw and baked beans out of a can that had just been warmed up. It was awful, I couldn't believe it. Later that day they won he rib competition, I bet that wasn't the same ribs we were served.
The next monday I sold my racing business and started work on a new BBQ trailer. We are just about 2 weeks from opening up, all we got left to do s mount the exhaust hood and appliances in the trailer and get our final inspection done. The health inspector ask me why I didn't have a freezer in the trailer and I told her I didn't serve any frozen food. Everything is going to be made fresh, even the beans will be made from dried beans instead of cans and the fries will be cut fresh and double fried. I might not make as much money doing it that way but I'll know people will come back.
Thanks, Jeff
Sweetfire BBQ

We done the meats fresh cole slaw fresh and cajun beans fresh. And of course the BBQ sauce fresh. Still made a good profit.

we also smoke everything fresh on site.

How is timing managed when doing butts and brisket on site? I've got plans in the making right now and that is going to be my model/plan. My HnF brisket and pork take around 10 hours just to be ready to serve. Are you cooking hotter? (I'm in the 300 degree range for HnF). Thanks.

How is timing managed when doing butts and brisket on site? I've got plans in the making right now and that is going to be my model/plan. My HnF brisket and pork take around 10 hours just to be ready to serve. Are you cooking hotter? (I'm in the 300 degree range for HnF). Thanks.

We smoke with our CTO at about 250, we don't do events that we can't handle with our smoker.

Back