MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #61
palmcoastbob
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwylde1 View Post
OK...I shall take you advice and get a few more JD sausage rolls, but does that also mean I need more Jack???
I like the way you think!!!

Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #62
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Yes, someone did. A few times, actually. And that same someone may have the first recorded stuffed fatty on the brethren. But that was after many, many naked fatties.

I never said that stuffing was evil. I just recommend that fatty virgins start with some naked fatties to understand the fatty in it's purest, and original, form. Then you can move on to stuffing and enrobing.
Oh I know. That's why for my first fatties I did two. One pure nekkid fatty bliss (not even any rub) and also one stuffed and bacon wrapped.

Guess which one disappeared first?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #63
chambersuac

Okay, this is going crazy...from naked fatties, to fatty virgins, to who know what else...this is starting to make me rethink my sermon for Sunday.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #64
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

Now after cooking naked/virgin fattys, and your first few stuffed ones you will start thinking..."Wonder if I could roll that into a fatty"

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #65
caseydog

As I type, I am doing a "test" fatty on the Smokey Joe. I want to make a couple when I'm camping tomorrow, but don't want to fark around with a big-arse smoker. I've never indirect cooked on a Smokey Joe, so I figured I better experiment at home, so I look absolutely brilliant in front of my friends.

I'm starting to get this Smokey Joe smoking thing figured out. I anticipate fatty goodness in about twenty minutes.

Oh, it is a simple fatty -- a little Cheddar/Jack cheese inside, and my basic rub outside. No wrap.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #66
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Dan after spending the weekend between Billy and Dive do they still let give sermons

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
Okay, this is going crazy...from naked fatties, to fatty virgins, to who know what else...this is starting to make me rethink my sermon for Sunday.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #67
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

With 65 replies in less than 12 hours, I'll take it you have your answer.
Now go on to Bacon Pie!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=81818
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #68
NorthwestBBQ

Ask Cowgirl...
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #69
leanza
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I shouldn't even mention this.... but if you want to go overboard, build a fattie piston. They are fun to play with.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...ty-piston.html

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=95168
Love that fattie piston. And if you cant find all the stuff for a piston like Cowgirl described, than here is a EMERGENCY FATTIE PISTON I came up with. Scroll down in the post to see the finished FATTIE!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ghlight=fattie

Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #70
BBQ Grail

Nobody and I mean nobody knows more about naked fatties than Bigdog...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #71
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

This thread would make a wonderful sticky....

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 12:46 AM   #72
caseydog

My Smokey Joe fatty got done. I let it rest, and sliced it up, and put some on a bun, and ate it. I was not sure whether it was a success, so I had to make another fatty sandwich, just to be sure I had enough data to come to a conclusion. I did it purely for science. I didn't want to eat a second fatty sandwich, but I had to do it, for science.

I am pretty sure it worked well. But, I need more data. My next purely scientific experiment is to reheat the remaining fatty tomorrow morning, and see how it tastes with some chicken embryos. If it passes that test, I will consider it a success, from a purely scientific point of view.

It is tough job, but somebody has to do it. I hope you all appreciate what I am doing for you.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 AM   #73
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post

I wonder if you're leaning toward a "fatty sermon" or away from it?!?!?!

Long live the naked fatty!

I, as many have also said, LOVE a stuffed fatty, but more times than not, I will just unwrap, rub and smoke. Pure goodness. Plus, it's just TOO easy.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:07 AM   #74
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
As the founder of The Society for the Preservation of Fatty Purity, I feel that i have to chime in.

The original concept of the Fatty as introduced by Brother Smokey Pig and then named by Brother Big Dog is a breakfast sausage log unwrapped, rubbed if desired and then smoked. This is the original, and best Fatty.

The concept of stuffing evolved later and adds some interesting variations to the Fatty. The earliest mention I can find on the Brethren of stuffing a fatty is the Fatty Ronello, where a fatty is stuffed with poblano peppers, chorizo and pepper jack cheese. I'm not claiming to have invented the stuffed fatty, but i can't find anything on the forum about it until then.

Later, the Bacon Explosion popularized enrobing a fatty in cured meats. It may have been done before then, but the Bacon Explosion went viral and brought enrobing to everyone's attention.

Ever since the Bacon Explosion went viral a lot of folks seem to think that a Fatty HAS to be stuffed and enrobed in cured meats! I say NO! Let's get back to the roots of the Fatty as our Brothers in Smoke envisioned it! Stuffing and enrobing have their place, but to say that a Fatty has to have stuffing and/or enrobing is to deny our history!

LONG LIVE THE NAKED FATTY!!!

Nice job Ron-O! Thanks for documenting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I have never found a BBQ rub I didn't like on a fatty.
True that! I generally use all the leftover rub in the bottom of the bus tub that I use for prepping and roll fatties in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Nobody and I mean nobody knows more about naked fatties than Bigdog...
Larry, Larry, Larry. Now you know why he is in my phone as "Larry the Farker!"
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #75
Joetown Parrothead
Got Wood.

Got all the stuff to make my first fatty.. Gonna stuff it with Green & Red Peppers, Red Onions, Pepper Jack Cheese... Should I cook the Peppers & Onions first??

Thanks for your help..
BR

Tags
fatty, fatty thread, history, roadmap