MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
Mattb82
Full Fledged Farker

Default How Many Probe inserts

Just curious from Shirley owners how many wires you can fit through each probe insert. I just ordered a Tappaque for my cooker coming later this month. I currently have 1 probe insert in the build and think I need an extra one.
XL BGE
Hunsaker Can
Shirley RF 24x52
Mattb82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

i have never tried more than 2 at a time. can't imagine having 3 or 4 to monitor but i think they would fit.

edit: you will want longer probe wires depending on the size of your cooker. the 3ft ones make it a little difficult to slide out a rack if the probe is placed too far away from the port.

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
Jason TQ

I actually don't use mine a whole lot, but if you unscrew the cap and take out the rubber stopper you could probably get 6 or 8. I have some older maverick probes that are fairly large and the longer right angle and larger diameter on them makes it weird so that is what I do. I just put some foil over the hole after the probes are in place.
3 Hunsaker Drums
Weber 18.5 Kettle
Big Green Egg XL
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Mattb82
Full Fledged Farker

Makes sense. The probe lines are 6ft long, I'll never use more than 1-3 at a time. Primary got it to monitor pit temp via wifi so I can be inside or run quick errands and know when to feed it again
XL BGE
Hunsaker Can
Shirley RF 24x52

Old 01-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

once you get the probes through the wires do not take that much room and move freely . but you can also go to Ace Hardware and they have a grommet section and you can get one with a bigger or smaller rubber hole because I had to do this on my Brinkmann .

Shirley Fabrication 24 X 36 Patio Smoker Proto Type

T&K Small Reverse Flow Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
Mattb82
Full Fledged Farker

Appreciate it gents
XL BGE
Hunsaker Can
Shirley RF 24x52

Old 01-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
Lastrajm
On the road to being a farker

I have 2 in the main chamber and one in the warmer. When I first started using it what I did was took out the rubber grommet and cut it, that way I could just pull it over the wires. I've had zero issue doing that. In all honesty I don't even use probes/wires anymore. I got tel tru gauges and a thermapen. That's all I need. The pit runs itself, the meat is done when it's done. In hindsight I talked Paul into putting in the probe inserts, he was more than happy to do what I wanted but even he said I wouldn't really need them. IMO save the money and buy a beer with it instead.
Lastrajm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
Mattb82
Full Fledged Farker

I hear you Lastrajm. I really got the wifi unit to help when I'm not closely watching the pit to know when to throw a split on,especially with little kids running around the house I can't always be on top of it. I love my thermapen as well. I didn't change the gauges that come standard on it but I thought it might be cool to add the digital tel tru gauges down the road. I'm sure the ones they give standard are accurate though
XL BGE
Hunsaker Can
Shirley RF 24x52

Old 01-08-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
Jason TQ

I say still get them as they are fairly cheap. I've never used them for pit temp check, just on some brisket cooks. They are nice to have even if for only occasional use
3 Hunsaker Drums
Weber 18.5 Kettle
Big Green Egg XL
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #10
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb82 View Post
I hear you Lastrajm. I really got the wifi unit to help when I'm not closely watching the pit to know when to throw a split on,especially with little kids running around the house I can't always be on top of it. I love my thermapen as well. I didn't change the gauges that come standard on it but I thought it might be cool to add the digital tel tru gauges down the road. I'm sure the ones they give standard are accurate though
i use them for the same reason. if we are hanging out by the cooker then i don't need my electronics. if we are going to be busy and in the house or on the deck then i run them. where my trailer sits is not convenient to be looking out the window and seeing what the cooker is doing.

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
sylntghost
is One Chatty Farker

Depending on length of chamber I would go one on each end of the main chamber.that way shorter wires will work on both ends.
Rodney. 24x75 Shirley cabinet with first hip roof main chamber. Shirley double burner griddle stand.kamado joe big joe.weber kettle.4 & 8 gallon Cajun fryers. Lone star grillz large insulated vertical cabinet
sylntghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #12
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb82 View Post
Just curious from Shirley owners how many wires you can fit through each probe insert. I just ordered a Tappaque for my cooker coming later this month. I currently have 1 probe insert in the build and think I need an extra one.
also I would have one on top of the main chamber right side and one on the side of the warmer . I am getting the fold down shelf option off the side of the warmer to sit my Tappeque case on and will be easily to run the wire to either so they will not be in the way .

Shirley Fabrication 24 X 36 Patio Smoker Proto Type

T&K Small Reverse Flow Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #13
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

A lot cheaper to get everything you think you "might" need now than after it's built. Paul can't be charging much for probe holes. Get a couple in the main and one in the oven.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review HERE. WSM Mods HERE. My Brisket Guide HERE.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote