MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #2866
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Did some Prime plate ribs from creekstone I picked up awhile back. Smoked for about 6 hours then wrapped in bp for about 2 hours. They probed tender and think temp was around 206. Let them rest for 2 hours and I thought they were good, but a bit on the dry side. Not sure what the deal was with that? Really like spg and then black ops run on beef these days

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The marbling didn’t look that great. Might be why they were dry?

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #2867
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Did some Prime plate ribs from creekstone I picked up awhile back. Smoked for about 6 hours then wrapped in bp for about 2 hours. They probed tender and think temp was around 206. Let them rest for 2 hours and I thought they were good, but a bit on the dry side. Not sure what the deal was with that? Really like spg and then black ops run on beef these days

Memphis Elite

They look good!!! Prime plate ribs are definitely not a cut you’d expect to be dry... that’s for sure.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #2868
mike243
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Maybe over done? did you use a therm or just go by looks? haven't done many beef ribs and never with temp probe, have a new set coming and going to stick a probe in every thing I cook and try to log how they turned out.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #2869
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

They didn’t have much marbling inside the meat..they might of went too long but they were like butter and temped abut where I thought they would be (mid 200’s). I have another rack so will see how those go next time I cook them. I also wonder if foil would of been better than bp?

Memphis Elite

gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #2870
jstrand
Full Fledged Farker

Sucks when things don't turn out like you hope. My first beef ribs I think I pulled a little early, they were only 198* but they probed tender. The fat wasn't rendered enough though. Just did the other plate I had last week only this time I took them to 185*ish but put them in a foil pan covered and finished in the oven, turned out excellent, think final temp was around 203-206*. I seem to prefer the foiled pan finish method, I also do it with pork butts.
jstrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #2871
AussieMatt
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I am happy with my pit boss but they do have some short comings.

they are not pid and temperatures can run in a range, not unlike an oven. can be upgraded for $100. mine works well enough. some folks have had problems but pit boss is good at warranty claims.

the biggest flaw in my opinion is where the firepot is located and how the handle heat deflection. in my model the firepot is centered. this puts a hotspot in the middle and I have problems with too much heat coming through the deflector. an aftermarket diffuser can help. some of the pit boss cookers have it to the side, their lineup is confusing, each store can have it's own line of bosses.

I really like the sear function. it's great for a few burgers or 2 steaks.

the lineup works well for me. I thought about keeping the vertical instead for long unattended smokes and large volume cooks. in the end I prefer the profile of the drum for things like butts and brisket. I didn't really need the extra capacity and I actually trust the drum w/2 vents open more then the pooper overnight.

the horizontal pellet cooker is on my front porch. I use it for quick cooks. good at things like meatloaf or doing trays of abts. I really like using it for reverse searing . my front porch cooker is also what I use most in the winter so the boss has a prestigious position in the lineup.

I would say they are good enough, especially if it is not your main cooker. aside from a better controller and a better heat shield (at least on my model) the only flaw I see is a poor hopper design. there is a flat spot at the bottom and the pellets can bind up if you dont keep an eye out. all three of these issues can be fixed for under $150. I personally haven't made any mods to mine

last night I made a 3 lbs bone in ribeye on it

and this center cut t bone pork chop

Thanks mate!!

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #2872
SmokyDick
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Nothing wrong with not being a PID controller. Some say it actually produces a better smoke flavor.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #2873
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post
Nothing wrong with not being a PID controller. Some say it actually produces a better smoke flavor.
I agree. Offsets cook in a temperature range and are considered by many to be the gold standard. It doesn’t affect the cook or meat

Old 07-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #2874
Camille Eonich
Full Fledged Farker

I did it. I broke down and ordered my first pellet pooper. I haven't been grilling much because it has been kind of inconvenient and I just couldn't bring myself to get a gas grill so I am really looking forward to trying out the Rec Tec Stampede.
Camille Eonich is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #2875
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Eonich View Post
I did it. I broke down and ordered my first pellet pooper. I haven't been grilling much because it has been kind of inconvenient and I just couldn't bring myself to get a gas grill so I am really looking forward to trying out the Rec Tec Stampede.

Welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking! :)

Old 07-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #2876
WBDubya
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Bryan

First prime rib on the MAK 2 Star.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #2877
Camille Eonich
Full Fledged Farker

Do I have to do anything special to set up the rec tec for a low and slow cook? Be easy on me. All that I have ever cooked on is that wasn't an indoor stove or oven is open fires, webers and a bge so they all had to have different set ups for long cooks.

Trying to get ready for the delivery! :D

Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #2878
mike243
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Just follow the instructions to clean it and fire it up on delivery, it will probably tell you to bring it up to certain temps for a set time to burn off any chemicals left from making it. set it on low throw some thing cheap on it and watch a temp probe while you play with the temps, hard to make bad food but you learn the more you cook with it.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:02 AM   #2879
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Eonich View Post
Do I have to do anything special to set up the rec tec for a low and slow cook? Be easy on me. All that I have ever cooked on is that wasn't an indoor stove or oven is open fires, webers and a bge so they all had to have different set ups for long cooks.

Trying to get ready for the delivery! :D
Congrats. Is it a Bull, Stampede or Trailblazer?

No. You don't have to do any special set up for your new Rec Tec. Once you do the initial burn in at 400° for an hour when you get it assembled, you're good to go.

Next time when you're ready to cook, you just turn it on and select a temperature at which you'd like to smoke, wait for it to reach that temp and then put your food on when that temp is reached. Cook to desired doneness.

You also have the option to increase or decrease your cooking temp at any time during the cook if you should like.

For example, there is an Xtreme smoke, or LO setting. It is reached by turning it on and turning the temperature control knob counterclockwise, (or it can be done in the app installed on your phone) until the display shows "LO". That "LO" temp is a temp below 200°.

Some owners like to start a low and slow cook on the LO setting, and then after a couple or three hours, increase the temp using either the app or the knob, to say for example, 225, 240, 250..., whatever temp you want to smoke at, for the duration of the cook. For brisket, pork shoulder, larger cuts of meat, some owners like to turn the heat up during the stall. So you can adjust your temps during a cook if you like. But the simplest way that I've found is to select a temp, and run it at that temp for the duration of that cook.

Last edited by SlowmotionQue; 07-17-2019 at 02:14 AM..
SlowmotionQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #2880
Camille Eonich
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome! It's a Stampede. I got the bundle so getting 250# of pellets too. It will be here tomorrow. Trying to decide what my first cook will be.

Sounds like smoke setting would be great for smoking stuff like fish and maybe cheese. I'm so excited I can barely stand it. The last new outdoor cooker that I got was the egg but that's been probably 12 or 13 years ago.