Smoking a turkey...temps, etc?

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK guys...This is going to be my first turkey on the WSM...got some apple wood that Im gonna use to smoke me a turkey today. What temp should the WSM be? What temp should I cook the bird to at the thigh? Do I measure the temp at the thigh or the breast? Any advice would be appreciated.

I like doing turkey in the WSM at 325-350. Cook to 165-170 in the thigh. I brine the turkeys I smoke in a brine of equal parts salt and sugar/honey, and after I take them out of the brine I let them rest in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours to let the juices redistribute and to air dry the skin. Then rub up real quick and put on the cooker breast side up. If you put it in a pan you can reserve the juices for gravy. If you like, you can ice the breast for a bit before putting on the cooker to lower the finished temp of the breast (it finishes before the thigh), but I've never had a dried out breast of turkey that was brined and cooked like I mentioned, the brining keeps it moist.

not gonna brine this one...dont really have the time and dont know how anyway.

Go with the same game plan then, but ice the breast meat. What kind of bird is it? How big, is it enhanced, etc?

its about 12-14 pounds and is a Hickory something...NOT a butterball for sure. It is enhanced though.

not gonna brine this one...dont really have the time and dont know how anyway.

Brining is as simple as soaking a bird in a salt and sugar water bath for a good bit of time. If it is enhanced you will be fine not to bother with it.

I put bacon on top of the breasts while it is smoking, it makes me think it is a heat shield and it won't dry it out.

Back