Trigg Rib Shigg From "BBQ Pitmasters"

I think Scottie's point was that you couldn't count on that information being accurate.

Just fyi, you are getting and giving bad/wrong info.... So I'd suggest taking a class in shigging, so you can get all of the correct info. If you don't want to shig, then I'd suggest spending the $$ and attending one of Johnny's classes. But seeing that he won't be doing any this season because of Pitmasters. It seems you will still be guessing and reaching for straws.

Johnny also uses many of his rubs and seasonings in the exact same container. Color of lids is about the only difference. He has been known to put the wrong spice/seasoning on his products... As the containers are exactly the same.

So I would not believe everything that you see.

This was SPOKEN PUBLICLY by Trigg himself. So, I feel confident believing what I hear from Trigg.

I disagree. He is going out of his way to find out information on a specific cook.

EVERYTHING in this thread is publicly available information. EVERYTHING! So, at the risk of having the BBQ Police show up at my house and hauling me off in a box car, I think some people over react.

There is plenty that I know about Trigg's process that I haven't shared since Trigg hasn't made it public. When or if he does, I will post that info too. If he doesn't, I won't post it.

This was SPOKEN PUBLICLY by Trigg himself. So, I feel confident believing what I hear from Trigg.

Have you given any consideration that maybe, just maybe that Johnny has a sponsorship agreement with Head Country? Just as Johnny leaves a big jug of Head Country and a bottle of Head Country sauce laying around his RV. He wants to have people see it...

Have you given any consideration that maybe, just maybe that Johnny has a sponsorship agreement with Head Country? Just as Johnny leaves a big jug of Head Country and a bottle of Head Country sauce laying around his RV. He wants to have people see it...

Don't get it Scottie.

First you call Joe's observations "shigging."

Now you ask if he's considered the fact that Triggs may have wanted it seen.

???????

Don't get it Scottie.

First you call Joe's observations "shigging."

Now you ask if he's considered the fact that Triggs may have wanted it seen.

???????

I'm not responding anymore. But I encourage you to look at what the title is from this post. If he didn't think it was "shigging" then why would he call it that?

I'm not responding anymore. But I encourage you to look at what the title is from this post. If he didn't think it was "shigging" then why would he call it that?

I am all for discussion and disagreement. However, I think all of your "concerns" have been addressed in this thread. If using information that Johnny Trigg himself made public is "shigging" then shigging isn't the evil thing that you seem to think it is.

Secondly, I don't believe Trigg lies for money. He uses Head Country, that is a fact. He has made it known to the public at least twice and has even said so with his own mouth that he uses Head Country. He may not use HC for his ribs, but he does use HC.

If you want to know why I call it "shigging" just read the whole thread. If you don't do that, please don't criticise something that you haven't read.

As far as taking the class, I suppose that if someone paid a lot of money for a class and then found out that the person who gave the class made some of the info available to the public for free, they might want to make accusations too. I don't know, just saying.

If you've taken the class, goody for you. You have a great wealth of BBQ knowledge that was spoon fed to you for a fee. This thread, on the other hand, is what it is and that's all it will ever be. If you don't like it, that's fine. A lot of us are having fun with it.

:roll:

Methinks that your opinion would be different if you hadn't taken his class.

I've taken the class, and know Johnny somewhat. Yes he made some of what he does available via the show. Frankly I'm not pleased about watching folks here, and elsewhere try to duplicate what he does simply because they can. I'm sure he knew what he was doing when he taught people his method and gave them his ingredients. At the same time, he's still cooking, as are many of the folks that took his class. Just because something can be done, doesn't make it right. A lot of folks call him The Old Man out of respect, that he's earned, and I'm one of them.

Cooks will gossip about what somebody else may be doing like nobodies business, but it's done privately and with respect most of the time. There's a difference between that process and what I see going on here and on other forums.

He put himself on a TV show, I think things like this are to be expected.

It's not like someone's givin' out the secret code to a nuclear bomb in a secret underground lair.

I've taken the class, and know Johnny somewhat. Yes he made some of what he does available via the show. Frankly I'm not pleased about watching folks here, and elsewhere try to duplicate what he does simply because they can. I'm sure he knew what he was doing when he taught people his method and gave them his ingredients. At the same time, he's still cooking, as are many of the folks that took his class. Just because something can be done, doesn't make it right. A lot of folks call him The Old Man out of respect, that he's earned, and I'm one of them.

Cooks will gossip about what somebody else may be doing like nobodies business, but it's done privately and with respect most of the time. There's a difference between that process and what I see going on here and on other forums.

Everything I posted about Johnny Trigg's cooking is PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE. It has been declared loudly for all to hear on radio programs and for all the see and hear on a TV program. Did you read the first post in this thread? Probably not. If you did, you didn't take the time to understand what is plainly written.

If you don't like the thread, that's fine and good. However, taking swipes at me and other people who are having fun with the thread is not.

So now you are taking swipes at Jorge?

I'll leave it at that. But you might want to notice the term "Moderator" under his name....

So now you are taking swipes at Jorge?

I'll leave it at that. But you might want to notice the term "Moderator" under his name....

Taking swipes?

You two basically called Joe a thief. I think his response was constrained.

I too, revere Johnny Trigg. What he did for Paul demonstrated what a good man he truly is.

But I'd wager, if you suggested to Johnny that someone who watched that segment and took notes was "shigging"... he'd laugh.

I can almost hear Myron's response:

"Of course he took some damn notes. Shows he's smart."

The top of the thread states that this thread is nothing more than a glimpse into how Trigg cooks BBQ. It's not substitute for his class and it certainly isn't exhaustive in content. It's just a glimpse. Most people that I know hold Trigg in high regard just as I do. If anything, this thread is a tribute to him and his contribution to BBQ.

Everything in this thread was made available to us freely through the good will and generosity of Johnny Trigg. If someone can improve their ribs from the tips that Trigg has shared, It think that's a great thing. If someone decides that honey and Tiger sauce is too sweet and won't use Parkay, that's OK too. This isn't an evangelism thread to convert anyone to sweet ribs or using margarine and foil.

As it says in at the top of the thread, it's just a glimpse into how a champion cook makes award winning BBQ.

So, can we all just agree on that?

Bohizzle - For what it's worth at this point, I'm undertstanding your perspective to a degree.

Some will have opposing views for varying reasons (ex. paid for the class, friend of instructor or some who don't think it's right to spread info that may not have been intended to be spread) and that's understandable and OK too.

You're posts have not broken any rules (here) and you are not divulging anything more than anyone else could have gathered if they wanted to. You've chosen to do your homework based on publically available info. In some ways similar to an opposing NFL football team that studies hours of game film of their competition every week trying to get an edge. The only real difference is you're sharing what you've uncovered with others that didn't.

You also noted in the last sentence of your original post " What Trigg didn’t share was his skill. If you try this and don’t have the same results Trigg has had, don’t be surprised."

Long and short of it, is that there's no right or wrong here.. only opinion.

Last edited:
do those ribs taste like pork? i'm just sayin

You can show all the "technique" you want, I tried them with tips from this and other threads and they tasted like sh!t. Wasted a good rack of ribs. Oh well it was worth the effort but if people think you can beat Trigg by following some snaps of BBQ pitmasters you're crazy. Just my 2 cents.

Here is an update - word is that Johnny Trigg uses this rub for his ribs. This is the mystery rub, perhaps?

Rib-Tickler.jpg

He uses Head Country on his briskets.

This is what I use on my ribs, very good rub. I had to add 1tsp cayenne though just to give it a little more pop.

Before Paul was trained by Trigg, this is what he said he was told Trigg uses to glaze his ribs-

Trigg-29.jpg

OK....this is clearly a staged shot. Labels aligned perfectly with Paul framed just right to fill in the rest of the frame.

Back