MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
wormdrink67
On the road to being a farker

Default Competition rib cook times

I've managed to fail miserably in my first two comps of the year in my rib scores. Both times they have been underdone and chewy. I always try to cook ribs that are between 2.25 and 2.75 lbs and I also foil my ribs. How long do you guys cook yours?? Thanks in advance.
WSM 22.5 CBJ #60558 PACK-A-SMOKES BBQ TEAM
wormdrink67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormdrink67 View Post
I've managed to fail miserably in my first two comps of the year in my rib scores. Both times they have been underdone and chewy. I always try to cook ribs that are between 2.25 and 2.75 lbs and I also foil my ribs. How long do you guys cook yours?? Thanks in advance.
3 hours open, 1 hour in foil, 1/2 hour out of foil and glazed
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
chromesporty
is one Smokin' Farker

2 hours open, 1 1/2 hours in foil, 1/2 hour out of foil to glaze

New R&O smoker - Flaco
Battle tested WSM - R2D2
chromesporty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

3-3 1/2 hours...no foil...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Test cook them at home. Cook at your desired temp until a toothpick slides easily in the meat. Or another way is if they bend in the middle, look like they are going to break, but don't. Note that time and adjust for comps. Each persons pit cooks different, so no easy answer.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
cbagby64
Full Fledged Farker

We cook on WSMs and go 2.5hrs, 1.5 in foil, 30 minutes to set the glaze

Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Svenmac
Knows what a fatty is.

People keep posting their times but without a temp the times posted mean nothing.

We cook at 275 for 2 hours in smoke and 2 hours in foil. Then glaze and put back on for 15 minutes.

At about 3 hours and 30 minutes into the cook we start checking the tenderness with the thermopen or a toothpick. If they are cooking too fast we move them to a cooler place on the pit.
Svenmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Wow! Don't want to hijack the thread but it is along the same subject. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but cooking 2-3lb rib racks @250F on my WSM 22.5" with no water in the pan. If i cook 2-3 hours uncovered or until the ribs have a good visual appearance, then foil for any more than 1 hour with a 1/4 cup of liquid the bones are usually starting to fall out of the meat. Could it be the liquid or are you guys leaving the membrane on the back?
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
AZScott
Take a breath!

If you are short time the solution is to add time to your cook or increase the temperature. Another thing to consider is putting your ribs in a Cambro once they are done. We had the same issue as you so we bumped the temp up 25 degrees, put them on an hour earlier, and then put them in the cambro to stay warm. The ribs scored really well and we didn't have the stress worrying about are our ribs going to finish in time. The only meat we cook to the last minute is chicken and we know exactly what those thighs are going to do and how fast they will increase in temperature. Ribs, brisket, and pork is all a crapshoot if you only use times in my opinion.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ View Post
Wow! Don't want to hijack the thread but it is along the same subject. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but cooking 2-3lb rib racks @250F on my WSM 22.5" with no water in the pan. If i cook 2-3 hours uncovered or until the ribs have a good visual appearance, then foil for any more than 1 hour with a 1/4 cup of liquid the bones are usually starting to fall out of the meat. Could it be the liquid or are you guys leaving the membrane on the back?
How are you measuring that temperature?
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

G$,

I'm measuring 250F grate temperature with the CyberQ II pit temp, checked it against a Maverick ET73 and even put the thermapen probe through the open rivet used for my temp sensor entry. all are with in a few degrees of each other.
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ View Post
G$,

I'm measuring 250F grate temperature with the CyberQ II pit temp, checked it against a Maverick ET73 and even put the thermapen probe through the open rivet used for my temp sensor entry. all are with in a few degrees of each other.
Hmmmm, Interesting. If I were to cook at 250 on my WSM22 the bones would not be "falling out" quite so severely. I asked about the temp because (as I am sure you know) that dome therm is ...off.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
3 hours open, 1 hour in foil, 1/2 hour out of foil and glazed
^^^X2^^^ @250 degrees
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

FBA has forced me to make some minor changes and right now I cook 3 hours at 250 then foil for 1.5 then sauce and drop temp a bit if they appear to be nearly done. They stay in for an additional 1.25 hours. I don't use liquids but do use solids and semi solids when wrapping. They do liquefy. I cook ST Louis cut spares.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

No membrane, 250 degrees, 1.5 hours on smoke, foil with a good spritzing, 2.75 - 3.0 hours, then remove. Depending on the quality when we open them, we may add a thin layer of glazing/sauce that is pre-warmed and allow it to set for about 5 minutes in a warmer. They're MBN ribs, so they pull cleanly from the bone, just before they're falling off the bone. If we run more towards the 240-245 range it'll be 4.5 hours total, if we're running closer to 260 most of the time it'll be closer to the 4.0 hour mark. Oh, these are thick BB's.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills

Last edited by Lake Dogs; 04-26-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote