MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim
Default Certified Angus Brisket

Dr Ray recommends Choice grade Certified Angus Brisket for competetion here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=brisket

I sure enough believe him because Certified Angus is mentioned many times elsewhere as a superior and consistant meat.

However, here in the SE, DF and I can not find any supplier who even recognizes the phrase
Kinda bizarre, because a few high end restaurants "tout" Certified Angus, but are closed mouth as to the source. Makes me wonder if it is the "real thing" or hype!
Brunos Food Store in Dothan, AL sells "Certified Angus" steaks and some other cuts. But, their "order book" does not even list brisket--he showed it to me!

If ya can't buy it, you can't age it and can't compete with it!

Certified Angus Brisket appears to me a TX or MidWest thing.
Found flats on the Web for $12/lb with some "punitive" shipping added on for good measure. Hell, we have trouble making entry fees

I have Stacey (JacksonsDad) searching in the DFW area. May wind up being a "road trip" excuse to see the Kiddos if I have to.

Anyone else have a source for "Certified Angus Brisket"--preferably flats-- that is reasonably priced?????

Looking for "The Edge" any way we can

Shopping, Shopping, Shopping!

TIM

Last edited by The_Kapn; 01-12-2006 at 09:04 AM..
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2005, 09:18 PM   #2
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Re: Certified Angus Brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapndsl
Dr Ray recommends Choice grade Certified Angus Brisket for competetion here:
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/inde...ight=certified

I sure enough believe him because Certified Angus is mentioned many times elsewhere as a superior and consistant meat.

However, here in the SE, DF and I can not find any supplier who even recognizes the phrase
Kinda bizarre, because a few high end restaurants "tout" Certified Angus, but are closed mouth as to the source. Makes me wonder if it is the "real thing" or hype!
Brunos Food Store in Dothan, AL sells "Certified Angus" steaks and some other cuts. But, their "order book" does not even list brisket--he showed it to me!

If ya can't buy it, you can't age it and can't compete with it!

Certified Angus Brisket appears to me a TX or MidWest thing.
Found flats on the Web for $12/lb with some "punitive" shipping added on for good measure. Hell, we have trouble making entry fees

I have Stacey (JacksonsDad) searching in the DFW area. May wind up being a "road trip" excuse to see the Kiddos if I have to.

Anyone else have a source for "Certified Angus Brisket"--preferably flats-- that is reasonably priced?????

Looking for "The Edge" any way we can

Shopping, Shopping, Shopping!

TIM
Big here indeed. I'll try to make some calls tomorrow to see what I can find for you. If you factor in shipping, making the trip to see the family might be worth it...financially that is

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 09:19 PM   #3
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Tim, go to this web site http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/ Then click on where to buy. You may have to travel a little to get it. But it may be worthwhile. I don't always use CAB, and have had some of my best finishes in brisket with choice from Sams. But, consistency at Sams can definately be an issue.
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote