My first try...considered a failure.

A lot to learn, but we have fun practiceing.
Don't get discourraged. :thumb:

I smoke CS ribs alot.
I cook them at 225-250. It takes about 4-5 hours depending on the thickness.
When my thermo pen probe goes in like budda I consider them done. Just like my brisket flat.
If they were overcooked try foiling them with some liquid and they should rehydrate some. I have done that with a dried out brisket before.

Thanks all of you for the input. Just the info I need to keep learning. Since the csr fiasco I have done a couple chickens. Turned out great but didn't get the deep smoke I was hoping for. I'll keep experimenting.
Tomorrow is the pork sirloin. My buddy tells me to brine with water, salt and brown sugar tonight. Any thoughts on the pre-rub sticking agent? He said maple syrup or mustard would be good. I don't trust his advice on some things cause he's kind of an idiot sometimes.:-D Thanks again and I'll post how things turned out.

For an even better result with the pork loin, don't cook it past 135-140, then rest loosely tented under foil for 20-30 minutes. During the rest, it will continue to cook and be a perfect 145ish when served. Carryover temps are overlooked by a lot of folks.

For pork sirloin It really depends on what you want your end result to be. When I think sirloin I think steak and would use the appropriate run sauce or marinade for that. I would go seasoning salt of choice add in a little more pepper throw it on @ 275-300 untill it hits about 150 then sear it rest it for 5 minutes and serve.. I have never done a pork so take it FWIW

Everyone has an off day. Burgers are my constant failure never can get a good burger and I epically failed with leg of lamb. Just keep smoking meat and work with it. Practice makes perfect.

I failed the first time I tried CSR to due to trying to cook them like a bone in type of meat.

I did find (and some here will probably find this blasphemous) that if you re-heat them in the microwave and add a little sauce even shoe leather can become somewhat edible.

That said, with the way pork and beef prices are going I'm less and less inclined to "try something new" as I'd much rather not screw up trying to cook a $30-$40 piece of meat.

With my new Masterbuilt 30" smoked up a batch of country style ribs. Apparently kept 'em in WAY to long. Followed the time and recipe to a tee. Absolute shoe leather.:doh: I have decided I need a remote thermometer and will order one next payday. Although I failed I won't be discouraged.

Yesterday I smoked a half dozen bacon wrapped chicken cordon bleu. Those turned out awesome. Still trying to find a real good rub.

When I get the remote, I want to do a pork loin roast. Any pointers guys?

When I do country-style ribs, I prefer HnF, and take them out as soon as they reach temp.

Pork loin roast, likewise. Inject, and do HnF, taking out between 140 and 145.

The pork loin turned out amazing! I think I owe 50% of the credit to my new Maverick thermometer (I will never smoke without it again!) and the rest to the great input from you bastards. Pulled her out at 135, tented and let her rest for 'bout half hour. Maybe should have waited 'till 140, but still awesome.
Today a chicken and pork shoulder. Time to rock. Cheers.

Back