MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
chefpyro116
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Jeremy
Question First smoke with GMG Daniel Boone

Howdy all,
I just purchased a Daniel Boone pellet smoker and had a couple questions about using it. I've used a WSM before buying this pellet smoker. I wanna cook some ribs for the family I've been promising since the weather is warming up here.
1. How long should I let them go for? In my WSM I let them go 4-5 hours at 250F.
2. Does using a rib rack have any effect on the cook time? I might be cooking 6 racks at a time.
3. Are there any certain temps people use for ribs? like 225 of 250?
Thanks for the tips and help.
Cheers!
Jeremy
chefpyro116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
kingjman
Full Fledged Farker

I also have a GMGDB and know temps aren't necessarily even or accurate. I use a few Taylor oven therms to see my hotspots. I'm also heading out now to get my GMG started for ribs. ..I would say get that temp close to what your used to cooking them at. Good luck with your new GMG. ...make a batch of toast to see your hotspots.
kingjman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Hey Jeremy- Congrats on your new pellet pooper! On mine, I like to keep things ultra simple. Baby backs take about 5-6 hours and St Louis spares about 6-7. I prefer to cook mine super low n slow at around 220-225°. I do not wrap at all. About 2 hours into the cook, I start spritzing every 30-45 mins with 50/50 ACV/apple juice. They always turn out great (to our liking). Suoer tender with just a little bite left to them. Sometimes I glaze the last hour, sometimes I don’t. I can tell you this though... after having cooked ribs with gas, charcoal, wood and pellets... pellet smoked ribs are my favorite :) Here’s some I recently did.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
chefpyro116
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Jeremy
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Hey Jeremy- Congrats on your new pellet pooper! On mine, I like to keep things ultra simple. Baby backs take about 5-6 hours and St Louis spares about 6-7. I prefer to cook mine super low n slow at around 220-225°. I do not wrap at all. About 2 hours into the cook, I start spritzing every 30-45 mins with 50/50 ACV/apple juice. They always turn out great (to our liking). Suoer tender with just a little bite left to them. Sometimes I glaze the last hour, sometimes I don’t. I can tell you this though... after having cooked ribs with gas, charcoal, wood and pellets... pellet smoked ribs are my favorite :) Here’s some I recently did.
Those look amazing!!! I'll give it a try wedneday and let u all know how it comes out. Thanks for the tips.
chefpyro116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
GMG, pellet smoker, Questions, ribs