Thermometer

Bone In

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I have about $100 to spend on a thermometer. Would u get a maverick duel probe or a thermapen?

Thermapen. I have used both and just like the TP better. Built to last!

I have both also, and use the Thermapen all the time, it's a basic part of my que setup.

I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. If you are looking to monitor pit temp, then get the Maverick. If you are looking to do a quick check of meat temp, then the Thermapen.

I used my Thermapen zero times in the past two comps. I monitor everything with the Thermoworks oven thermometers (2 for $30) to take it to where I want before using toothpicks for feel. Thermapens are awesome for grilling, baking, etc but they don't do much for you when you're trying to keep your pit closed.

I love both thermometers but they are for specific uses. The new Maverick 732 is their best one yet and if you are going to get a Thermapen is needs to be an orange colored. The orange one has been proven to be the most accurate.

orange thermapen all the way, i have 3 maverick et-73's and have all but retired them, i know the temps inside by what the gauge says, i've grown tired of watching like a hawk over the exact temperature of the cooker. Meat however needs to be exact!

Fire Engine Red Thermapen!!

Not only can you check temps but you can also use it to check tenderness of those briskies!

Russ

Yellow thermapens are the most accurate, according to 99 out of 100 dentists surveyed.:-D

I open the lid usually only twice in the cook process, the first time to wrap the meat in foil, the second time to take the meat off. Usually we're cooking larger quantities of meat than you'd cook in an average cook or a KCBS cookoff and honestly we cant afford to suffer more heat loss (last cook was 9 18lb whole shoulders, 2 9lb butts, and then 13 or 14 racks of baby backs, all at one time). The thermapen helps check each piece to make certain they're done properly and stored properly. However, I use 2 (not just 1) mavericks et73's during the whole cook; one on front left, the other on back right. It allows me to see exactly how far along we are in the cook and exactly the surface temps so that I can address temperature variances quickly (our alarms are set tight).

Two completely different uses. Both great. I wouldn't think of it as one vs. another.

Last edited:
For me...the Thermopen would win out between these two choices.

Keeping the lid closed is important, but you CAN open it to check temps...just don't open it every 15 minutes! I don't open the pit until I'm comfortable that we're "close". Otherwise I don't worry about the meat temp. When I do temp, the number I get determines how long I leave the pit closed until the next time I decide to check. If I'm 10 degrees off, I'll probably check in a half hour. More than that and I'll leave it alone for at least another hour...and so on.

Just because you have to open the lid to check your meat temps doesn't mean you have to do it 20 times during the cook...that would just be amateurish.

I couldn't decide so both

I use both at home, but the Maverick gets replaced by a Stoker in contests to I can monitor all the meats. Overkill? Sure, but I also have white, red, and gray thermapens, just to make sure I have the right colors. :becky:

The new Maverick ET-372 is much improved by the way. You not only get better , on/off switches you don't need tools to access, Alarms are EASY to turn on/off, probe plug connections are waterproofed, etc.

The new Maverick ET-732 is much improved by the way. You not only get better , on/off switches you don't need tools to access, Alarms are EASY to turn on/off, probe plug connections are waterproofed, etc.

Completely agree, and the range is supposed to be much better.

Back