• Spares from the weekend.

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, **Quick rant** OK so I've said it before and I'll say it again! It's so hard to find properly butchered ribs out here... Seems they have all been "scraped" down to the bone for the sale of the loin. There are very few places I can get good ribs unless I order them by the case.

OK this is has become my new BIGGEST & most annoying food pet peeve!!! We have a bargain wholesale out here (like a sams or cosco) and they have some of the best ribs (cuz they buy from the same farm I'd get my cases from & sell them individually) which is all good and well but it's thet they DO TO THEM!!! I have yet to wrap my mind around WHY they do this! I am SOOO close to calling management.. lol :mad2: They actually put IN WORK to make a good product worse... This is what they do... it's 2 packs of ribs... as I bought them... out of 2 separate packages :doh:

a730e0f3.jpg

ANYWAYS... That off my chest I did smoke them up and they were great... (BTW I usually trim St. Lois but I think I was too annoyed to do that this day... :heh:)

Was out of my rub so I did up another batch:
3169b456.jpg

Seasoned up and thrown on the smoker with some Guava
f528ccfe.jpg

And they smoked up great! Sorry no after pics... They went pretty fast with the guys around. :thumb:

c12265c6.jpg

317598d5.jpg

2c48bb3f.jpg

And they're coming off...
e08bf103.jpg

Thanks for looking... & listen to a stupid rant..:doh::wink::heh:
Cheers

Nothing wrong with that bro!! I bet it still tasted great!
Nice looking rub!

Please rant away. I am 100% with you on this. I normally get my ribs from costco as they are pretty consistent. Now I haven't seen this done there. But sometimes I'll venture out and get some ribs from Publix when they are on sale. A lot of times their ribs are a little meatier, but they do this stupid "hey lets cut an inch or two or 5" into each rib and it screws them up.

My guess at this thought process is the pre-cut is into the thicker rib tip section and they think they are helping you get through that thicker bone. Now I don't get many spares from them anymore, but sometime you don't see this pre-cut as they fold under some of the rib sometimes since it won't all fit lying flat in the packaging. Fool me once shame on you, fool me 5 times............

*Stepping off my soapbox* Oh and those ribs still looked great. Next time I'm going to ask them why they do it and if they have any in the back they haven't screwed.......pre-cut yet :p.

them bones look mighty taste-t , that rub looks taste-t too!! u would;nt share that rub recipe would you?????:p

They really do look good, wonder why they cut them like that, you ever ask? Must be a local thingy....Thanks for sharing, ranting OK around here!

I've seen spares that still have half the sternum attached that have been cut in a similar manner so you can separate the individual ribs without cutting the sternum yourself, but I don't know what they did to those. I'm glad to see that they cooked up deliciously.

Thanks guys... And you know if they had cut them properly it would be annoying but not so bad. but these people just destroy these things, cutting too far... cutting into the bone... so bad... :crazy:

Cheers

I occasionally see them butchered into fingers like that here at my local supermarkets...perhaps just a package or two.
My local Asian market sells spares unaltered....which is nice.....but they always ask me if I want them sliced???? I say "what for??"

Always a pleasure to see your posts Phrasty. Great looking rub and awesome color on the ribs! I can't say I have seen spares messed with like that but I'm on total agreement with you. Messing with spares like that is just sacrilege!

Back