A Little Disappointed

nmayeux

Babbling Farker
Guys,
I recieved my long awaited Thermapen this morning, and I am a little let down...:mad: When I installed the battery, the thing wouldn't come on initially, and after fiddling with it a little while, I realized that if you put just a little bit of sideways pressure, the display would cut out. When you open the thing, you have to put a little pressure on the probe to get it to unlatch, and if don't apply opposite pressure, the display will not come on. I did call Thermoworks, but the tech guy was off, and they promised to call tomorrow... Not what I expected when spending $90 on a thermometer.:evil:

On the other hand, the thing is damn quick, and when tested against the Nu-Temps that I have been using, they registered exactly the same in ice water and boiling water. Really gave me a shot of confidence concerning the Nu-Temps. Also, I went online and calculated the boiling point of water at our elevation and present barometric pressure, and the thing was dead on! (Yes, I do have a calibrated barometer in my foyer!)

So, all in all its a wash, but I really hope that Thermoworks makes good on their product!

will take this thread into consideration when i look at buying one. thanks Noah. sounds like u need to ship it back to em and tell em u want a new one.

Noah,

I just bought one and so far no problems with it yet. From what I have read here these things are first rate and that their customer service/tech help is also first rate. I'm sure that this will work out.

gary

FatDaddy said:
will take this thread into consideration when i look at buying one. thanks Noah. sounds like u need to ship it back to em and tell em u want a new one.

Remind me to bring mine to the next get together.

nmayeux said:
Hey! I resemble that remark...:twisted:

You should have asked him about the man on man probe action he was proposing. [/hijack]:cool:

Please keep us posted on how and if this is resolved Noah. I agree that for the price you shouldn't have to wiggle things to make it work. Hell, things should work period.

I've never had a problem with mine. Probably the last tool I'd give up. I can check the temp on 10 pieces of meat versus 1or 2 with my old dial type. A lot less heat lost out of the pit. Hope you get a new one, because you'll sure enjoy it!

Noah,

They will do right by you. They are serious about their product and will support the hell out of it.

I bought mine online last April from The Baker's Catalogue (via Amazon) and have been very happy with my Thermapen. Never had a problem with it. It came with a calibration certificate, and still runs on the same cheapo battery that came with it. You should be able to get a quick replacement. I believe ThermaWorks will stand by their product.

I also checked mine against my ET-73 last weekend. I found the meat thermometer to be dead nuts on, while the smoker thermometer was off by 2 degrees.

Noah The thing has got to be better than the piece of crap I've been using....I'm sure they will do right by you. And BTW I've got to agree a calibrated Barometer.........yeah.....NERD !!!!:wink:....JK

I agree that it is a quality piece of equipment, as you cannot find a bad word about it. I'm just bummed that I had to get the one with the trouble, and then could not get satisfaction immediately. Like I said, the thing is lighning fast, and dead accurate as far as I can tell. Now, I have spent most of my life shipboard, so the barometer comes with the territory. However, I still resemble the nerd remark.

I have a $6.00 dial thermometer. It works in about 15 seconds. I can calibrate it myself. Technology ain't all it's cracked up to be!

I have the dial thermomers also, but when you have 15 butts going, its really nice to know where you stand on each without having the smoker door open for 5 minutes. Also, I am cooking a lot more chicken, and knowing where you are with each bird is an additional safety precaution.

You must have got the bad one, because I have a couple and never had a problem. It is by far the best that I have used, That $90 thermometer has replaced the hundreds of dollars of others. The bad thing about the dial type after you collaborate it a few times they get loose, plus they don't match the speed and accuracy.

The guys at Thermoworks got back to me, and they are shipping a new one out today. Seems that the plastic casing was defective alowing too much play in the probe linkage. Again, I am eagerly awaiting this tool.

Glad you got a good response from Thermoworks. I love my 'pen and my understanding was that they definately stand behind their product.

Back