MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #16
MilitantSquatter

I agree with ya Sled.. the merits of requiring KCBS membership to enter a KCBS sanctioned contest seems totally logical but for some reason (I don't recall but it was mentioned KCBS doesn't forsee doing that). Maybe it was that KCBS is hoping to not turn off new members in hopes that after they compete they will sign up. Maybe they do, and it would seem feasible for KCBS to track this if they truly wanted to.

I've been part of several athletic organizations, and to participate in any sanctioned competition, you had to be a good standing member. I don't think the annual membership fee turned off many from entering an event the first time.

A logical revenue booster IMO.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #17
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm View Post
not to start a dispute but Im a CBJ and have to wonder why paying 30 some bucks a year would make me a better judge than those that do not( meaning those who ARE CBJ's but let their membership lapse?)
Maybe not about being a better judge.
Maybe about giving a chit about the sanctioning body and the whole process?
I do not know.

I do know that every organization I have judged for required membership.
Maybe it is a "professioal" kinda thing?

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 AM   #18
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Maybe not about being a better judge.
Maybe about giving a chit about the sanctioning body and the whole process?
I do not know.

I do know that every organization I have judged for required membership.
Maybe it is a "professioal" kinda thing?

TIM
my point is..why make it mandatory for judges only? Why not cooks?
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #19
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm View Post
my point is..why make it mandatory for judges only? Why not cooks?
exactly.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #20
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
exactly.
dont get me wrong..im not for any MANDATORY dues or payments of any kind..the government burdens us with enough of that ..
but I am in favor of supporting organizations KCBS on a volunteer basis where something is given back to the supporting members in return..which is why i keep my membership up to date..but i understand why some dont want it as lot of people just flat out dont see the membership as anything more than a yearly subscription to the Bullsheet. I think the KCBS should push the other benefits of proper membership or advertise more loudly how membership bucks are being used to the members benefit whether they are cooks, judges, or both. That may attract more renewals and new memberships
i dont think taking away something like judging from people who were previously able to judge for free is the answer. I look at them more as volunteers anyway

Old 10-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #21
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Its so much more than the bullsheet It should be mandatory
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #22
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Its so much more than the bullsheet It should be mandatory
i know it is..but a lot of people dont think so..they need to advertise what that "much more" is

Old 10-06-2007, 04:42 AM   #23
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well I joined KCBS when I took the judging class in April of this year and received my first Bullsheet along with the CBJ badge just last month,I've judged 2 comps to date and at one they were checking membership, and I was pretty nervous about not getting to judge as they had an overwhelming turnout and I'd driven 6 hours to do so. When does my membership expire? Do you get a reminder?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #24
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Brian,
Your membership is good for one year, and yes, you will get a reminder from the KCBS.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote