MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #91
widespread
Full Fledged Farker

Here's some fatties I did for the holidays. I make about a dozen and a half every year to give to neighbors and clients. Most are filled with egg/cheese/hash browns, also made a few filled with grilled steak/cheese/onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Also tried making a Turkey fattie also... ground turkey filled with stuffing/mashed potato's.

Getting ready to roll a Breakfast Fattie

This is the Turkey Fattie

Some finished fatties

Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #92
Black Dog BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

How about a Fatty stuffed with Moink Balls.
(2) UDS
Jenair Gasser
Black Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #93
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog BBQ View Post
How about a Fatty stuffed with Moink Balls.
I'd take that!
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #94
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Hey Brethern....well my first adventure into fatty cooking went extremely well. Absoultely loved them. I did one naked fatty and the other was stuffed with some colby and monterey jack cheeses, some pablano peppers and onions. Cooked them for about 2 1/2 hours. Did an indirect cook on my Weber and used some oak chips for smoke. What a unique test and yet so simple. Next adventure I will see what I can do to get some pictures.

As for the Badgers...great game....sorry to see them loose. But the Pats made up for the loose by squishing the fish!
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #95
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Glad your cook went well now ever time you fire up smoker those will be part of the smoke....
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #96
Emil
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Was wondering if anyone has tried a Lutefisk Fatty?
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #97
lionhrt
is one Smokin' Farker

After doing a few fatties I tried making bacon cheese burger fatties with ground beef filled with grilled onion, chipolte cheddar cheese and fresh bacon bits. I should have used more cheese but they were good sliced up and served as sliders even tho they arent a real fattie. you are only limited by your imagination.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #98
Emil
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionhrt View Post
After doing a few fatties I tried making bacon cheese burger fatties with ground beef filled with grilled onion, chipolte cheddar cheese and fresh bacon bits. I should have used more cheese but they were good sliced up and served as sliders even tho they arent a real fattie. you are only limited by your imagination.

Now that's a great fatty.
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #99
BBQpower
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : POWER

Damm, First time I learned about Fatties today and Now I will try it next week!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #100
K27R
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have to try a couple of these for our block party. I am doing chicken, so a couple of fattie would be a great appetizer.
K27R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #101
Wolfy
Found some matches.

Ok, I know this thread is 7 pages long, and I'm resurrecting it after 2 years .... but I've read it (and others) ... looked at the pictures ... and still don't know the answer to the original question "what's a Fatty??".

I get that it is Jimmy Dean Breakfast Pork Sausage (or similar) that is often split/spread/wrapped/filled and then smoked/BBQ.

But what's this JD Sausage stuff?

Is it pre-cooked, 'cold cuts' like stuff we'd call Devon or Strassburg

... smallgoods 'sausages' that are precooked/smoked/cured that you usually eat directly out of the pack.

Or

Is it essentially 'raw sausage meat':

... processed raw meat that is most often filled into sausage-casings.
Some butchers here sell this stuff in fat-tubes which I guess could be the local equivalent of the magical JD Breakfast Sausage that is so popular for making Fatties.
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #102
Clayfish
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Wolfy, the JD (Jimmy Dean) and other brands of sausage they are talking about is seasoned raw meat as in picture 2 above, but packaged like picture 1.

http://jimmydean.com/products/Sausage/

I haven't seen this outside the US, and they get loads of flavours e.g. Breakfast Sausage, Hot Sausage, Italian Sausage, even the chorizo they talk about is raw meat chorizo style in a chubb - if you're more used to the spanish type you can just slice and eat.

Us non-Americans, achieve the same by either using pork mince (your picture 2) with BBQ rub and/or other seasonings mixed in to taste or by using sausage meat from the butcher/supermarket or taking the meat out of actual sausages of different flavours.

I was in the States earlier this year and I spent a lot of my time just scouring the supermarkets for all the ingredients our American Brethren take for granted. Although I did end up smoking my first 'naked fatty' (Jimmy Dean Maple with Simply Marvelous Sweet & Spicy rub), I was mostly just out to see what they look like and how to adapt ingredients available to myself.
22" WSM, 22" OTG, [COLOR=navy][B]Jumbo Joe[/B][/COLOR], WSJ, Mini WSM, WGA, Maverick ET-732, [COLOR=red][B]Red [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen and a twelve year old gasser which hasn't come out of the shed since I got a taste of charcoal!
Clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 AM   #103
Wolfy
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayfish View Post
Hey Wolfy, the JD (Jimmy Dean) and other brands of sausage they are talking about is seasoned raw meat as in picture 2 above, but packaged like picture 1.

http://jimmydean.com/products/Sausage/

I haven't seen this outside the US, and they get loads of flavours e.g. Breakfast Sausage, Hot Sausage, Italian Sausage, even the chorizo they talk about is raw meat chorizo style in a chubb - if you're more used to the spanish type you can just slice and eat.

Us non-Americans, achieve the same by either using pork mince (your picture 2) with BBQ rub and/or other seasonings mixed in to taste or by using sausage meat from the butcher/supermarket or taking the meat out of actual sausages of different flavours.
Hence my confusion ... x2.

Thanks for the info, think I can get plain-sausage meat and will see what I can do about seasoning like you suggested ... need to christen the UDS tomorrow! :)
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #104
Sub-80
On the road to being a farker

I knew what a fatty was, but admit to never having made one...or tried one for that matter.

How long do they take to smoke...and what temp? I'm smoking 22 pounds of pork belly this Sat...can I smoke a fatty or two along with the bacon? I'm guessing they will take about the same time...fatty perhaps a bit longer.

Love the feta cheese/olive idea...simple but flavorful I'm sure. Also will try naked.

Couple more question...how long will it keep if vac sealed in fridge? How do they take to freezing and how do you guys reheat? Thinking of bringing these to an Xmas party to share along with my bacon gifts....thanks!

Last edited by Sub-80; 11-29-2012 at 09:11 AM..
Sub-80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #105
thaifighter06
On the road to being a farker

Default Fatties are ridiculous. PRON

Shown is my apple pie stuffed fatty and a potato, cheese, pepper and onion stuffed fatty. Just let your heart lead you as to how to create your own fatty.

Last edited by thaifighter06; 07-15-2013 at 03:48 PM..
thaifighter06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fatty, fatty thread, history, roadmap