Simple Rub Input Desired - Brown Sugar + one ingredient...what would you add?

J

joeysmac

I'm doing a 9# pork butt on my UDS this weekend and I'm looking to do a very simple sweet rub and was thinking of using brown sugar as the base for the rub and only adding one (maybe two) ingredients to it. I have found several recipes for rubs but they are typically so complex that I would have no way of discerning what I liked about each rub, so I figured I'd start from the ground up and start with you guys. I also have no idea what spices might not go well at all with brown sugar, so feel free to say "whatever you do, don't add __________".

So here you go: If you were using brown sugar as a base for a simple pork rub what one ingredient would you add, or stay away from?

Thanks for your input. I will certainly take pics and post a review after this weekend.

I would go with the 2 basics and add salt and pepper I guess.

+1 on the Salt/Pepper.

I've sometimes used a base layer of brown sugar/pepper...followed by a layer of more complex rub. This has worked pretty well on our competition sausage entries. Have even used the same process on ribs a few times...when in the mood for those sticky, sweet style ribs.

For Pork, brown sugar + seasoned salt + pepper (if you only want to ingredients) If more, I would add granulated garlic and minced onion.

Let us know what you decide.

Well hell Monty, if I knew I could use a blend as 1 I would have said Yardbird! :doh:

Two ingredients?

If it is meat packed with a salt solution, coarse ground black pepper and garlic powder plus brown sugar.

If not, garlic salt and coarse ground black pepper plus brown sugar.

From there I would experiment with ground mustard, onion powder, celery salt (<- I like this a lot!) or hickory salt or garlic salt or Lowry's, and maybe even cayenne pepper.

For now, stay away from the oddballs like ground cumin, allspice, ginger, cinnamon and the like. After you get to know what you like, then try them in small quantities.

Has to be S & P
No other way can it be
Don't you see :becky:

O.K i will quit farking around
It could be a garlic or onion salt, but i think you would get too garlicy or oniony.
You can get creative with your pepper, but coarse ground black would be my choice in this situation
Report your results.

Paul

Don't put self-imposed taste restrictions on yourself.

Brown Sugar
Salt
Black Pepper
Cayenne
Garlic powder and/or Onion Powder

I use this combination of rub all the time and I can tell you when it makes love with the juices of the meat the movie becomes X-Rated. :thumb:

I like brown sugar and cayenne...

also spritz with whiskey at the end to form a nice bark. :)

Ok, one ingredient? Garlic Pepper (Sea salt, Pepper and Garlic)

great stuff.
:thumb:

This is a simplified version (about half what I actually use) of a rub I'm fond of:

6 parts Brown sugar
4 parts chili powder
4+ parts garlic salt (only 2 parts when using a salt-enhanced meat product)
2+ parts coarse ground black pepper
1 part cayenne, if more heat is desired

Things I cut out:
Celery salt instead of garlic salt
garlic powder
onion powder
paprika
ground mustard
ground cumin

Thanks for the input everyone (keep the ideas coming). I think I'm gonna definitely add salt and pepper...I forgot but probably should have added that to the original post...salt, pepper, brown sugar, and _________. Probably going to stay away from the "season all" spices for now.

Don't put self-imposed taste restrictions on yourself.

Why the arbitrary limit?

The reason I am limiting the number of spices is so that I can learn what each individual spice tastes and so I'll be able to say, I like this flavor because _______, or I don't like the ________ in this bbq.

I figure if I pair something with brown sugar, I should be able to tell the difference between the sweet taste and perhaps one or two more other spices, that's all. Just learning and trying to keep it simple.

Back