MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #46
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

Just the thought of being tracked could be in the mind of a rogue Judge. Everyone knows that there is a butthead somewhere in the crowd no matter what you are doing, and it is a shame that it only takes one to ruin somebodys weekend.

I dont have the solution for the problem but I cant see where tracking low scores would hurt anything.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #47
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Dale, I'm not saying track just the low judges. I'm saying track ALL judges. All of the scores entered by the judges is data that we are not using. The only was we know if the CBJ classes are really getting the message across to the judges is to track the scores that are being put on paper. Look at what happened a few years ago when they changed the scoring process...you hardly ever see a perfect 180 anymore and when you do, it's usually dessert. That down curve in the overall points was not a result of the judging classes as much as it was a result of the rules change. We know we have rogue judges and it's not just the ones that are lowballing everything that hits their table. The ones that give all 9's to something that is garbage are just as guilty. The problem as I see it is a broad deviation or inconsistency in scores. The only way I see to eliminate the problem is to go to the source (i.e. the judges) and correct it by retraining or removing them from the equation. Our reps at Kettering do a great job of catching rogue scores and talking to the people who are giving them but unfortunately this is not being done on a global basis and the reps I speak of cannot officiate at all the contests that we cook.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #48
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

I'm totally with you on the high scoring judges being just as much an issue as the low scoring ones. I know of a couple judges who score high ( 8s or 9s) almost all the time, and if they ever give a 6, it means they pretty much hated it. One thing that might help the scoring is if we defined what "average" is. Is it the kind of Q you would get at an average restaurant? What we can cook ourselves? Grandpa's BBQ? I know that DH has cooked some above-average backyard, sometimes better than I've gotten in competition, but where is the bar set?

As far as tracking goes, if it were to be implemented, it should be all judges, with all of us knowing it will happen. If we're all in this to promote the sport of BBQ, none of the components of a competition should feel like we're the opponent. Just as any competitor who doesn't like the rules, shouldn't compete in KCBS comps, any judge that feels threatened by tracking, shouldn't judge.

I do have a question about the comment cards. We were in the process of moving across country when they were being tested, so we never used them. Were you supposed to comment on every sample, or just the ones that were really great or really bad?

On another note-Jim, we will send our judging applications for Kettering, from the comments on another thread, sounds like one we want to be a part of!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #49
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

We have never had a problem with high scoring judges. We are actually fond of them.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #50
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, well...

Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #51
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

From the view of you folks with more experience?Do you know if the judges that score lower than average might be people who compete more often then judge.I have been thinking of taking the class and judging a few times a year to see what the other guys are turning in.What I wonder is as a competitor if you end up being more critical on the entries.Any ideas ....
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #52
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

Coz, I haven't noticed lower or higher scoring by a cooker judging at any table I've been at, and we do introduce ourselves, tell what got us into bbq and judging, talk about our impressions of the entries and how we scored after we turn in our cards.

The only time I've ever seen a cook trying to judge outside the rules, was once, when a newly graduated judge, who proudly told everyone at the table that he was a veteran competitor, had only taken the class because his friend was taking it and he (the cook) didn't really need it. He decided he would compare instead of judging each entry on it's own merit. I was table captain, noticed that he hadn't written down an appearance score for the first box as I was starting to show the second. I stopped, told him that he needed to enter his score for the first box, he told me he was waiting to see all the entries. I told him we wouldn't go on until he entered his appearance score for the first entry, apologized to the rest of the table for the delay. He argued, I looked around to find a rep, then he realized I was serious, and he decided to go by the rules before the rep was needed.

I guess there will always be someone who doesn't want to play by the rules, but in 7 1/2 years, that incident was the most blatant I've seen, and I think most competitors who judge would be completely fair in their judging.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:09 AM   #53
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyWench View Post
I do have a question about the comment cards. We were in the process of moving across country when they were being tested, so we never used them. Were you supposed to comment on every sample, or just the ones that were really great or really bad?

CaptTable or LindaM would be better to answer this than I would but from what I understood, the comment cards were only to be used for the extreme deviations.

Quote:
On another note-Jim, we will send our judging applications for Kettering, from the comments on another thread, sounds like one we want to be a part of!

We have a nice little contest with a bunch of super people making it all come together for a great cause. We have two of the best reps in the circuit and we're always looking for quality judges to help round everything out. The entry form on the website is from last year so don't send that one in as there will be a few changes on the new one. I'll let you know as soon as it goes online.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #54
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz View Post
From the view of you folks with more experience?Do you know if the judges that score lower than average might be people who compete more often then judge.I have been thinking of taking the class and judging a few times a year to see what the other guys are turning in.What I wonder is as a competitor if you end up being more critical on the entries.Any ideas ....

Coz, what I have found is if there was a fresh judging class in the area, just prior to the contest. You will get a low scoring contest. Or if the judges in the area are basically new (under 5 contests judged) you will get lower scores. If you have judges off the street, just about anything can happen. Just hope you don't get 2 at your table or make sure your product is right down the middle of the BBQ avenue...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #55
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I'm totally with you on the high scoring judges being just as much an issue as the low scoring ones. I know of a couple judges who score high ( 8s or 9s) almost all the time, and if they ever give a 6, it means they pretty much hated it. One thing that might help the scoring is if we defined what "average" is. Is it the kind of Q you would get at an average restaurant? What we can cook ourselves? Grandpa's BBQ? I know that DH has cooked some above-average backyard, sometimes better than I've gotten in competition, but where is the bar set?

As far as tracking goes, if it were to be implemented, it should be all judges, with all of us knowing it will happen. If we're all in this to promote the sport of BBQ, none of the components of a competition should feel like we're the opponent. Just as any competitor who doesn't like the rules, shouldn't compete in KCBS comps, any judge that feels threatened by tracking, shouldn't judge.

Merl and I ran the committee that tested the new score cards and comment cards in 2007. The comment cards were voted down by the BOD at the end of the test but the new score card was passed. My personel feelings were that the vote would go the other way. The surveys we recieved from cooks and judges where about 85% in favor of the comment cards.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote