Contest scheduling

Muzzlebrake

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Just curious about how far out most of you plan what contests you are competing in?

We tried to plan out year in January but it seems to me that may be early as the contest schedule, at least in this part of the country, stiil seems very fluid and tentative as late as now in mid April. I found it very interesting that a local contest expects as many as 10,000 visitors, yet it was not even confirmed the contest was happening as late as a week ago.

Also how do you find out about them? Do the regional sanctioning bodies post the schedules or do you have to be part of network like ours and wait for word of mouth to spread?

Thanks fo the help

I start early too....just to get an idea.

First, I check the KCBS and NEBS websites to review last years contest dates to get an idea of this years potential schedule (most contests typically held the same weekened every year) to see if it works for me.

Then, for the ones I'm interested in, I'll send an inquiry to the contest organizer to see if dates will be the same, when applications will be available and ask to be mailed or e-mailed one if possible. Otherwise, I'll check the KCBS/NEBS and Bullsheet for new info periodically.

As far as the East Coast, I think this is soley because they are some new contests (ex. Limerock, Hartford etc.) happening for the first time... The promoter needs to be assured prize money will be put up before committing to a contest, can attain the site, sponsorships etc. In the case of Limerock, the 10,000 spectators would be a result of the car races held at the racetrack and how many people typically attended etc. In some cases, it's a guesstimate by the organizer to attract teams, media etc. Anything can happen. Something like Guitarbeque is different as it was planned but unforseen events have caused uncertainty out of Arlie's hands.

I also think it helps when you get your foot in the door at a contest one year and then due to your previous years support and participation in a contest, they give a returning team the early chance to sign up and get in an application before opening it up to new teams. I really like that idea, even if it causes me to not get in.

And yeah... this forum is really good too for contest updates, news etc !!!

After a few years, you will have some "staples" that you like and know you will go to. Our problem is, that list tends to grow every year. Heck, I think we have 8 now that we wouldnt miss for the world. We are slated for 15 this year unless I win some good money and can pay for others.

Some pop up that you didnt have in your plan, so you just have to adapt. For example - the LP-Que that Arlie is throwing.... filled my only weekend off in June!!

I start with last year's schedule, and then use the KCBS site... and am on a few lists for unsanctioned events as well. Piece together a set you like and go from there.

This is my first year doing comps. I have done one so far and have two more planned. If the mid-west Brethren Comp gets nailed down, I can do a 4th. If I bring home some good prize money, more will be added. But I don't see that happening this year.

This is our second year doing comps, probably our first real year where we actually take this seriously but we just check the KCBS website for contest dates and locations and plan accordingly. Usually most for us are local and a month is plenty of time to plan in advance.

Scheduling

Catering is priority 1, except for 2 contests. After that we plan month to month and fill in around catering jobs and vending. Right now we have 27 dates committed b4 the end of june, with no contests scheduled. Looks like we will be heading our for some more contests in July, August and September, with 5 we want to do.

Vinny,
yup that sounds about like what I have been trying to do.

HoDeDo,
WOW! 15 contests huh? whats the most you have done and when does your season run?

Back