Completed my first cookoff this weekend

tony76248

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I competed in a sanctioned IBCA in Irving TX this past weekend. There were some very good BBQ'rs there. There were a total of 32 pits entered. There was a hellacious dust storm during the event too. When we got home last night I had several shingles missing, had them repaired today by guys riding around the neighborhood.

BTW, I settled on our team name. Grilla's in the Pits (thanks Ty)

I didn't do as well as I would like to have. But I did learn. I didn't realize what it took to score high until I saw what other folks do. I didn't sauce or glaze my ribs, mistake, that was my best finish too. I made it as far as the final table, which I suppose is pretty good.

All in all I made very good ribs and chicken. I got exactly what I was going for. Now my brisket sucked, it never really got finished. I actually prepared 2, one was trimmed and the other a packer. I turned in 7 slices from the trimmed brisket, it didn't have really good flavor, mainly because it wasn't done. I placed it back in the oven when I got home last night and finally today it was done. Perfect too. I used two probes and both read around 190 when I began the briskets rest. The only thing I didn't do that I normally do was wrap it at 160.

Now I met some of the best folks ever at the event. They all gave me helpful information which should allow me to do better in the future. I didn't run into any Brethren there....ughhhhhhh, I did run into some Stumpers though.

That was my weekend.....................

Thanks for the great report!

It sounds like you had a positive first comp and learned from it.
That is what it is all about!

As to the Brisket--it is an "feel" thing with the probe as to when it is done.
Just takes time and experience to master that--not really a "number" to read on the thermometer.
Try again, several times, at home and you will master it!!!!

Keep it up and have fun while ya do it :lol:

TIM

tony76248 said:
I I didn't run into any Brethren there....ughhhhhhh, I did run into some Stumpers though.

That was my weekend.....................

Are you by chance going to Irving the last weekend in March?
3/30-31 at the Knights of Columbus

I was thinking of driving over there. Never been to a comp and wanted to meet some people.

Congratulations!

The first one is the toughest...you never really know what to expect until you do a competition.

You went, you learned and you had fun. That's the most important part. Everything else is gravy!

Tony, I wondered if they would even have it with the weather on Saturday. That is the worst dust storm I have seen in all the 24+ years that I have lived here. When is your next contest?

The_Kapn said:
Thanks for the great report!

It sounds like you had a positive first comp and learned from it.
That is what it is all about!

As to the Brisket--it is an "feel" thing with the probe as to when it is done.
Just takes time and experience to master that--not really a "number" to read on the thermometer.
Try again, several times, at home and you will master it!!!!

Keep it up and have fun while ya do it :lol:

TIM

That was my only regret, I coulda made my worst brisket of the last year and did better than what I turned in, but the whole time I was thinking that maybe I was overthinking it. It was definately a learning experience. It will only get better.

Grumpy's Q said:
Tony, I wondered if they would even have it with the weather on Saturday. That is the worst dust storm I have seen in all the 24+ years that I have lived here. When is your next contest?

Not quite sure yet, but we are thinking Kaufman or West.

bowhnter said:
Are you by chance going to Irving the last weekend in March?
3/30-31 at the Knights of Columbus

I was thinking of driving over there. Never been to a comp and wanted to meet some people.

I have planned on doing that one. They are supposed to have a real nice camping area, lot's of oak trees.

Plowboy said:
How did you finish?

I didn't finish in the top ten in any category. Being that it is ICBA, they didn't do the points thing. In ribs, I made the final table. They took 6 entries from each of the previous three tables. So I got in the top 18 in ribs I guess.

One of my thoughts was that I didn't sauce my ribs because I thought it was a smoked meat comp and not a BBQ sauce comp. The judges were all Elks members for the most part. I later learned that in North TX they like there ribs sweet. Sauce from here on out....Live and learn.

As I said before, I loved my chicken, I have heard that chicken is somewhat of a crap shoot. Can anyone here give me some input on that in regards to ICBA? One thing I might do different next time is smoke them a little more for the color. I used a Mojo recipe that left the chicken moist and tender, I will share the recipe if anyone is interested.

Tony

New Guy

I am looking for info on BBQ Cookoff's and how to go about entering them, etc... Any information about upcoming events and rules, association's and the like would be appreciated. Thanks

Tony-I thought about driving over to the Irving contest, but when the dust storm blew in I decided against it. My first contest is going to be in West March 16-17. Not competeing in Kaufman but I am going just to check out the competition. Post if your going to compete in Kaufman and I will look ya up. Hope to see ya in West.

Todd-check out ibcabbq.org They have an events listing on the website. Then just pick out an event and go check it out. I went to Kaufman last year and talked with about 15 teams. They were all very friendly and helped me decide to join this organization and start cookin'. Look me up in West if you make it. If not, I'll be competeing in Terrell in April. Hope to meet ya!

chromesporty said:
Todd-check out ibcabbq.org They have an events listing on the website. Then just pick out an event and go check it out. I went to Kaufman last year and talked with about 15 teams. They were all very friendly and helped me decide to join this organization and start cookin'. Look me up in West if you make it. If not, I'll be competeing in Terrell in April. Hope to meet ya!

I am told West is a big time event. There will probably be over 100 competitors there, they are paying 15 places. There were some big time cookers at the Irving event due to the $2500 in prizes, plus the Calcutta. West is like $10000, so everyone is expected to show up.

Last edited:
Thank's alot guy's. Now we're gettin' somewhere. I'm orginally from Forney and I used to work in West. I'm reeaaallly feelin' the Karma out there.

HI new guy!

Todd H. McCommas said:
I am looking for info on BBQ Cookoff's and how to go about entering them, etc... Any information about upcoming events and rules, association's and the like would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello from New England! ...have you been over to Cattle Call yet?
You may get more bites there....

good to have ya!

Tony, you should have gave me a heads up, I would've tried to stop by.

Back