• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WTF is up with Tri Tip these days?

cameraman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Tri Tip was $8.69 in Publix today. Are you farkin' kidding me! That's Rib Eye territory!

Just like every under-appreciated cut of meat, when the word gets out and it becomes more popular the price skyrockets. It's supply and demand.

That's pretty darn high, unless it was Prime? I'm seeing it at $6.99 lb pretty regularly out here now, and I thought that was high.

I'm picking some at Vons tonight. They're $4.99 untrimmed.

That's pretty darn high for untrimmed...

yea, all you out of ca state folks have ruined it for us.
now its near $6 for untrimmed at costco.
i used to buy it regularly but no longer.:mad:

$8/lb here for choice at Safeway.. for $2/lb more I can get rib eyes :shock: They rotate it through their weekly adds so that it's $3.99/lb for trimmed choice tri tips at least once a month.

The real shocker was seeing it for prime tri tip roasts at whole foods for $14.99/lb. :shock:

Just like every under-appreciated cut of meat, when the word gets out and it becomes more popular the price skyrockets. It's supply and demand.

Under appreciated? That's a CA staple, my albersons grocery store cooks them up over wood every Sunday and packs them to go for dinner.

With that being said, I can find it 3.99-5.99 and 9.99 trimmed prime grade.

Yeah, word got out that it was a good inexpensive cut of meat. I think the hipster crowd caught wind of it, and thats all she wrote.

That does sound pricey but around here if you ask about tri-tip you usually get a blank stare. And I am not talking about Win Dixie but places that should at least know what it is.:wacko:

Price is through the roof here in Georgia also. Problem is that since it is not a well know or very popular cut, it never goes on sale. Hopefully the word won't get out on chuck eye steaks or I am really screwed.

I've only found it once up here in Canada. And I wasn't paying $10.99 per pound. I almost got it when I thought that was per kilo, which would be a great price.

Of course this was at a fancy store, but it's also the only place I've seen it.

You mean tri tip.. this tri tip :D
20130216_133249_zps25e44feb.jpg

and did someone mention ribeye?

Its not that bad around here. That tri was around 5 or 6, trimmed and marinated.

At Raleys in N. Nevada/ CA, trimmed Angus tri tips seem to go on sale for $4.99/lb, and are a must buy at that price. I agree that when cuts become popular, the prices get crazy. The same thing happened to flank steak too.

I'm sorry, I think it's my fault. I been making this and it's so dam easy and soooo farking good I haven't been able to shut up about it. I'll screw my next one up, hopefully this cut will go back under the radar.

To be honest I think this is better then some of the cuts people have mentioned in this thread. I wud take it over a strip steak. Not a porterhouse, but a ribeye hands down. I just like it that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you actually paid a realistic fair price for your meat you wouldn't have to subsidise your farmers so much.
John

Reminds me of flank steak. We used to get it cheaper than hamburger, and then Fajitas got popular and now it is as pricy as sirloin. Oh well, at least pork is dropping in price in my area. Pork fajitas anyone?:mmph:

I go to the butcher, and ask for it, and they look at me cross eyed? I'm not smart enough to explain it to them.

Just had Hodedo here in Oz and made my eyes water at how cheap your pork butts were. But we have you on this one. No one knows about tri tip here. Can get high choice trimmed for about $4/pound

Back