MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

This will be year 5 under the tent.... and yes, I had an enclosed trailer until I totaled it right after Christmas. No insurance like I was told that it was covered but wasn't..... so, down sizing for a while.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Im going from EZUPs to a 24 foot enclosed with AC. That heat, rain, and cold is for the birds.
Bourbon Barrel BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

I would imagine if gas stays up we will see a lot more ez-ups at the contests and less rvs and huge trailers.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Really hot or pouring rain and I am jealous of a trailer. Overall though I love being able to set up in 30 minutes, couple tables, EZUP and my jambo. Defintely love being able to bomb home at 80mph

When I can I'll get a cheap local hotel room for a couple hours of sleep and a hot shower.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #20
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We've competed under one to three canopies for as long as we've been doing this. If we were in an area like some of you, where we could choose between several contests within a four-hour or less drive on any given weekend, you know we'd be in a trailer because we're old and love our comforts.

But with as much travel as we have to do, even the little pull-along 5x8 was killing us. Speed limits, gas consumption -- it was a pain. When we inherited a minivan, we stripped down the pack and got it all in there -- 4 WSMs, two canopies, tables, boxes, blah blah blah.

The first time VQ computed the mileage on a trip leg and it was nearly 27mpg, I thought he might weep a tear of joy. I know I was happy to cut at least two hours off our longer trips.

So pick your tradeoff -- comfort and expense vs. speed, mobility, strike range.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #21
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

This is my first year competing and as of right now with less than a month away from my first contest I am planning on using 2-22 1/2 WSM and a 22 1/2 weber gold with three folding tables and 2-10x10 ez-ups. I'm actually looking for a small enclosed trailer to haul things/prep work. I'm sure I'll learn alot by screwing up and forgetting things, but any advice would be appreciated!
jrbBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #22
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
I love being able to set up in 30 minutes, couple tables, EZUP and my jambo. Defintely love being able to bomb home at 80mph
While I won't have a Jambo, that sounds just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
So pick your tradeoff -- comfort and expense vs. speed, mobility, strike range.
That's what I'm debating. I'm trying to simplify things, and right now the combination of a trailer I need to store off-site and a smoker that isn't portable without the trailer is a drag.

I can't compete as often as most of you, but I want to be able to enjoy my bbq and take it other places when needed.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #23
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I had cooked for 10 years. I went the trailer route and even have the cooker vented so I cook while inside too. I won't look back. There are way too many advantages IMO of having the enclosed kitchen. Dry shelter during inclimate weather is a big plus. Easy set up and take down, running hot and cold water, refrigeration, proper lighting, a/c and heat, storage, and no loading/unloading the truck. I like to be able to just was a few things in the sink and wipe down the stainless and hit the road.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #24
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

The other plus of a trailer is loading/unloading at your convinience. I load mine a week in advance and unload a couple days after. I'm beat after a comp and do not want to unload my truck.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #25
Bones
Full Fledged Farker

Default comfort

To me the major disadvantage with the EZ-UP method is the wind factor. I can deal with the rain, cold, heat and etc. But when they tell you that 70 MPH winds are coming what do you do? Elk Grove 2009. I unhooked 3 sides of the top but the wind was so strong that it still destroyed the frame.
I am with you on this one as I have some contest I would like to do but my BWC is toooo much to load in the back of my truck.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #26
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah, the wind is the real issue. My canopy survived elk grove without having to take it down, but I think that was because the trailer was blocking the wind....
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #27
Bones
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-B-Q View Post
Yeah, the wind is the real issue. My canopy survived elk grove without having to take it down, but I think that was because the trailer was blocking the wind....
We had the lid blow off of the weber kettle so if you us bullets I assume the same could happen. One would have to hold the lids and canopy at the same time. it would be a mess if a bullet turned blew over.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #28
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
To me the major disadvantage with the EZ-UP method is the wind factor. I can deal with the rain, cold, heat and etc. But when they tell you that 70 MPH winds are coming what do you do? Elk Grove 2009. I unhooked 3 sides of the top but the wind was so strong that it still destroyed the frame.
I am with you on this one as I have some contest I would like to do but my BWC is toooo much to load in the back of my truck.
Building turn in boxes in that kinda wind had to be awesome.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #29
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We have ditched our trailer. We sold it to Brendan of Transformer BBQ. It was becoming a chore to haul the beast around. Now we travel much lighter with a couple of Ez-Up canopies. We can set-up, tear down and leave right after the awards. The trailer had some advantages but the upkeep was a pain in the a$$.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #30
Bones
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
Building turn in boxes in that kinda wind had to be awesome.
The wind was on friday evening so the boxes did not come into play.