MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

Default Judging (moved from KCBS NAshville thread)

Curious, do any of you cookers plan on going to the CBJ/Cooks Roundtable on Friday? And would you really want to hear judges' opinions?

If any of yall would like to know the judge's side, we would go, but if it's just a cook vs judge "what do you know cause you don't cook competitively" free-for-all, we'll stay home.

Last edited by SaucyWench; 11-29-2008 at 03:58 PM..
SaucyWench is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyWench View Post
Curious, do any of you cookers plan on going to the CBJ/Cooks Roundtable on Friday? And would you really want to hear judges' opinions?

If any of yall would like to know the judge's side, we would go, but if it's just a cook vs judge "what do you know cause you don't cook competitively" free-for-all, we'll stay home.
That's a great attitude. I'm sure the cooks will be very receptive. This should be a good one. WTF will moderate this!

I think I'll attend as a judge.

Master Judge #738
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I have to agree with Ray regarding the attitude. I for one would welcome hearing the judges opinions and I don't think I've ever been guilty of having a "what do you know cause you don't cook competitively" attitude either.

I think a good topic for discussion would be what ideas the judges have to make scoring more consistant.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
That's a great attitude. I'm sure the cooks will be very receptive. This should be a good one. WTF will moderate this!

Master Judge #738
I might have to attend......if you moderate that discussion

Ray for President!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I'll moderate but we may need security.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Jeff_in_KC

Oh man, all of the sudden it's looking more interesting. But I'm not going to play in Troy Black's backyard party.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Oh man, all of the sudden it's looking more interesting. But I'm not going to play in Troy Black's backyard party.
That'll show him!

Strangely, I think Audrey wants to go. She keeps bringing it up.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post

Master Judge #738

I don't mean to have a bad attitude, but there have been times when we've been asked for advice on what judges look for, told what we've learned over the years, and then basically been told that the judges must be the problem, not their methods, recipes, whatever.

Most cooks are very receptive, but, sadly, some definitely see us as adversaries, or think we're only there for free food. When you are serious about your judging, it's discouraging to hear things like that. Just makes me a little leery. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Looks like we wouldn't be able to go anyway, work deadlines interfere.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I don't mean to have a bad attitude, but there have been times when we've been asked for advice on what judges look for, told what we've learned over the years, and then basically been told that the judges must be the problem, not their methods, recipes, whatever.

Most cooks are very receptive, but, sadly, some definitely see us as adversaries, or think we're only there for free food. When you are serious about your judging, it's discouraging to hear things like that. Just makes me a little leery. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Looks like we wouldn't be able to go anyway, work deadlines interfere.
I for one, value judges' opinions, but I don't get to get them. I can understand the opinions by assumptions of mine, of the 5 judges that give me, 7's, 8's and 9's, but I'd really like to know the opinion of the 1 judge that'd give me 4's and 5's at the same table. That is the judge we all have problems with !!!!
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I for one, value judges' opinions, but I don't get to get them. I can understand the opinions by assumptions of mine, of the 5 judges that give me, 7's, 8's and 9's, but I'd really like to know the opinion of the 1 judge that'd give me 4's and 5's at the same table. That is the judge we all have problems with !!!!
Great observations. There are two issues:
1st is feedback. I worked hard to bring about the comment card program. Unfortunately it was ended. I do not believe those who were against it, truly understood the value of the project. I would love to bring it back.

And yes sometime there were comments which made little sense. And yes sometimes the comments were off base. But the majority helped with useful information.

2nd. There judge who is inconsistent is to be talked to by the Contest Rep. He/she should be questioned if they understand the scoring system. The should be shown the cards on the table to show how they are outside of the table. If this does not work, the Rep does have the authority to remove the judge. (This is not going to happen often) But should be writing a letter the the CBJ chairman (currently Ed Roith) and make a report.

We must begin a program for continuing cbj education. The rules change, and cooking changes and we owe it to the judges and the cooks to provide on going education.

Just a few thoughts.
Yours in Que
Merl Whitebook
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Great observations. There are two issues:
1st is feedback. I worked hard to bring about the comment card program. Unfortunately it was ended. I do not believe those who were against it, truly understood the value of the project. I would love to bring it back.

And yes sometime there were comments which made little sense. And yes sometimes the comments were off base. But the majority helped with useful information.

2nd. There judge who is inconsistent is to be talked to by the Contest Rep. He/she should be questioned if they understand the scoring system. The should be shown the cards on the table to show how they are outside of the table. If this does not work, the Rep does have the authority to remove the judge. (This is not going to happen often) But should be writing a letter the the CBJ chairman (currently Ed Roith) and make a report.

We must begin a program for continuing cbj education. The rules change, and cooking changes and we owe it to the judges and the cooks to provide on going education.

Just a few thoughts.
Yours in Que
Merl Whitebook
I'd like to see judges be able to talk to each other while they're judging. Someone's entry will win the table anyway, might as well talk about it. That way, when judges are in line, and the one judge that isn't can be convinced otherwise, or he/she can at least give their opinion to the other judges why they think what they think. I really don't think it's a bad thing for judges to talk to each other.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Podge, are you suggesting they talk about it while they are judging (as in between viewing/tasting) or after each catagory? I know the handful of times I've judged the majority of the judges at each table seem to compare thoughts on the entries - what they liked and/or disliked about each (or favorite and least favorite). I enjoy sharing feedback after each catagory is judged and cards are handed in.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Podge, are you suggesting they talk about it while they are judging (as in between viewing/tasting) or after each catagory? I know the handful of times I've judged the majority of the judges at each table seem to compare thoughts on the entries - what they liked and/or disliked about each (or favorite and least favorite). I enjoy sharing feedback after each catagory is judged and cards are handed in.
yes, that's what I'm getting at.. talk about it right then before scores get turned in. I bet scores would be a bit more consistent then, or judges will start arguing, or....who knows... but it'd be interesting to say the least !!!.. I'd go to a contest that'd try that ou !

Old 12-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

Oh, it would be interesting, all right!

How long are you willing to wait for the awards?

Old 12-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

If waiting a little while longer would produce more consistant scores, I would gladly wait.