MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Youngin'
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bear
Default iq110 problems

I was wondering if someone could give me troubleshooting help with my iq110. I have 'tried' to use it 3 times and it never has gone passed 230*.

I fill up the ring on my WSM 18.5, haven't tried the 22.5 yet since I wanna master it with small cooks before big ones, and light a chimney up. Put the charcoals all over the unlit ones and build the WSM up. Close all the vents up, hook up my Maverick up and turn the 110 on to the desired temp. This is where the problems begin, the temp never makes it passed ~230* and takes about 2.5 hours to get there. On Thanksgiving I had to open up the vents in order to get it to ~245-250* (I had it set to 300*) and it slowly went up. Once I put the turkey on the temps dropped and the 110 started blinking red and eventually went in to solid red and didn't work again.

Am I doing something wrong? This is just about how the other 2 cooks went only difference was using ribs or a pork butt as compared to a turkey.
Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

I would give the Pitmaster IQ team a call. You might have a defective unit.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
brother steve
Got Wood.

I had problems with mine. Sent it back and they said probe was bad. Used it two more times ,still acted up.I was so disgusted I just quit using it.It was supposed to make things easier.I do it the old fashion way. Would not recommend this unit!
brother steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have one and it's great. First try getting it up to temp the old fashion way and see if it keeps temp. Secondly do you have enough exhaust? If you don't then that could be your problem.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

When you say closed all the vents, does that include the top one for exhaust? The exhaust should be open. I have an iQue I used a few times and it was pretty cool, but it stopped working after around 10 cooks. I put it away and haven't really missed it.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Youngin'

Name/Nickname : Bear

The top one was open also and it just doesn't get up to temp. I'm going to acll today and find out.
Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Wneill20
is one Smokin' Farker

Order a new prob that should fix it.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #8
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This seems more like a fuel and air management problem. Build another fire just like the problem one and use the lower vent to control the intake and see what happens. Could be just crappy fuel.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Riz58

Using the ring of fire or Minion method, I have found I need to do two things to get to higher temperature: Open the vent on the unit one to two more clicks (at two or three), and open the top vent a bit more.

I use the vents on the pit to run the temperature to about 30 to 40 degrees of target and then clamp down the bottom vent and start the iq110. The top vent is partially closed. As it reaches temp, I leave the top vent open a crack (I use it on an Akorn Kamado) and it will settle in around 235 to 250 without problems.

If I need to run it up to 300 plus, I will open the vent on the ip110 to at least 3, if not four, open up the top vent some, let it run to temperature, and then bring the iq back to opening 2 and either leave the top vent where it is or close it slightly. It takes a lot more air to keep the hotter fire going. Once there and the iq vent is set to provide enough air, I have never had a problem maintaining temperature.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

Do not have a IQ110 but from my readings here on the forum. Try getting the pit almost to desired temp before closing off all the vents and letting the iq110 take over. The initial burn and coming to temp takes up alot of air. Maybe the reason why it takes so long to come up to your desired temp.

Give it a try.

Leave all vents wide open until the pit comes up to 265-275 than start closing the intake vents down while still leaving the exhaust fan wide open.

Set the iq110 to 300 degrees and it should take over and get the pit there and stabilize.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

I wait until the pit is up to temp and connect it.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
EverettBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Rebel 17

I use it on a Rebel 17.
Works very well.
I use a independent thermometer to check IQ (has been nuts on).
Think about air flow.
What's your setting from 1 to 4?
Are you using the by-passing the open lid?
Are you using it to start your charcoal or keeping the temp correct?
Good luck
Do not give up
EverettBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote