Hello from Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

marsh maniac

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So, my brother recently built a despicable contraption and he thought it would be of use to me. During my myriad of questions for him, he mentions UDS and he directs me to the brethren. Little did I know the value of the gussied up metal drum, but I feel like I've been able to scratch the surface of determining its functionality after reading your forum for the past few nights. Needless to say I've got quit a few questions about how to use the thing, but I can't wait to get started. My old smoker, well............hasn't really been a smoker for the past year. My brother wanted to put an end to my family's suffering (my wife has been requesting smoked chicken ever since my chargriller bit the dust) and I'm very thankful for his efforts. I'm looking forward to learning how to use my drum smoker and I don't think I could do it without your help.

I'd like to consider myself an average, or maybe even competent smoker. Key word there is "like", and the short amount of time I've researched my UDS has made me realize that I've got a long way to go. Most of my experience in teh past has been smoking pork (ribs, butts, and tenderloins) and chickens. I haven't gotten the gumption to try beef yet so I've kept it pretty simple. My first attempt to smoking on my UDS will be this weekend. Wish me luck!!!

thanks Disciple

377108_2832211600952_1128999704_3006029_2113104196_n.jpg

Welcome aboard marsh maniac!

Welcome to our crazy little club house!

"clay q's pulled beef" i think would be an awesome jumping off point for beef....

http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Clay's Pulled Beef[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]by Clay Roberts[/FONT]​

PulledBeefSammiches.jpg

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Beef makes a great BBQ sandwich but it tends to dry out during the cook. This three stage method using a Dutch oven helps to keep the beef tender, moist and flavorful. Here's my recipe for the smoker.[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]- Two or three choice chuck roasts[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]- 10 strips of good bacon[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]- Tomato based BBQ sauce or your favorite sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]- 1/3 cup maple syrup (the real stuff)[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]- 2/3 cup water[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]- Cow Lick Steak Rub and peanut oil[/FONT]
BeefB4.jpg

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Set the beef out on the table and rub with peanut oil and then spice, (Dizzy Pig Cow Lick). Fire up the egg and stabilize at 250 degrees. Be prepared for an 8 hour cook. Set up is indirect, drip pan and v rack on grid. At this time leave the grid off.[/FONT]
BeefInSmoke.jpg

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Stage one; Set beef on v rack in pan with a little water or beer in pan. Lay bacon on top of beef. Lift platesetter enough to throw a handful of hickory chips on burning lump. Place grid in amoker and set in the pan with beef. Cook for about 5 hours and when beef is 160 internal remove from smoker.[/FONT]
BeefInDutchOven.jpg

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Stage two; In a No.12 Dutch oven, oil inside with peanut oil, remove bacon from beef and lay across bottom of Dutch oven. Carefully lift beef off of rack and place in Dutch oven. Pour the maple syrup and water over beef. Making sure the meat probe is inserted in the meat, put the lid on and return to the smoker and set on top of platesetter after removing grid. Be careful not to have the dome temp over 250. Cook for about 2 hours or until beef is 215 internal and remove from egg.[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Stage three; Set the beef out on a tray to rest while you drain the beef juice from the Dutch oven into a container. Place the container in the freezer to chill so that you can skim off the fat later. Trim any fat you find on the beef and start pulling with a fork. Remove gristle and fat as you pull. Return pulled beef to Dutch oven and add the sauce to your liking. Taste test. Now skim fat from saved juice and return juice to the beef. Taste test. Ok, lets go back to the smoker. Lift platesetter and throw a good handful of hickory chips on burning lump and return Dutch oven to smoke with the cast iron lid off. Cook for about 1 and 1/2 hours. Maintain a temp no higher than 250.[/FONT]
PulledBeef.jpg

PulledBeefSauced.jpg

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Stir and serve on soft hamburger buns with pickles on the side. Let's eat![/FONT]
PulledBeefSammiches.jpg

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Author's note: If you don't have a Dutch oven you can use a double layer of heavy alumimum foil. Keep the smoker steady at 250, smoke with more hickory if you like and enjoy one of lifes best sandwiches. Special thanks to all the good cooks on the forum that helped me make this BBQ. [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Have fun. Clay Q[/FONT]

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell

Deep South - Excellent!!!! That pulled beef recipe looks like it's right up my alley. I'll give it a shot right after I cook my wife her chicken she's been craving for the past year. Tomorrow's the big day for the inaugural queing on the new UDS!!!

Welcome from Indiana!!!!

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back