Smoking King fish...

PappaOscar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Caught a few Kingfish as you can see. These fish taste great when they're fresh, however, after a couple days not so much. Some of the locals mentioned smoked Kingfish are pretty good. I've done salmon using A-maze-n pellet smoker with success. So, I'm guessing same process?
I am open to suggestions.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1530709552939.jpg
    FB_IMG_1530709552939.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 162
Great catch!
I cold smoke salmon, hot smoke most other fish. Good luck with it, I'm sure it's going to be tasty!

I went simple last time:
2 T mayo
4 T sour cream
1 T old bay
A few drops of worchester
A few drops of hot sauce
1 1/2 cups chopped fish
Everything into the food processor.

That’s quite a variety of fish on the board! Don’t underestimate the quality of that trigger fish.

I use to smoke kingfish all the time and make into fish spread. It’s far better smoked fresh and I wouldn’t advise freezing any for a later cook. We always did traditional style of smoking. Kingfish is a strong oily fish and can take plenty of smoke. Your’s are nice size but a couple will be plenty.

Fish spread and crackers is your best option and was always a crowd pleaser.

Good luck,

I would Cedar plank them. Nice catch! Looks like acouple of Red Snapper in there too.

I went simple last time:
2 T mayo
4 T sour cream
1 T old bay
A few drops of worchester
A few drops of hot sauce
1 1/2 cups chopped fish
Everything into the food processor.

I add a little lemon juice to that exact recipe.....and sometimes capers. Cream the "wet" and pulse the fish in last.

If you are still in the area go to the smokehouse right at port Canaveral. You give them your fish they give you 1/4 or 1/2 the weight back in finished product.

Make sure the blood line has been completely removed from the kings
before you do anything with them.
That is one nasty strip of flesh.

Back