Austin Q choice

KingRanch450

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My Dads 70th is coming up. He lives in Georgetown and there is so much great Q around them. What is y'alls choice from the following:

FYI....Franklin's isn't an option due to the wait and line

1. Louis Mueller in Taylor
2. Blacks in Lockhart
3. Kreuz in Lockhart
4. Snows in Lexington

Feel free to throw in anything else

Black Box in GEORGETOWN
LA BBQ in Austin (I'd go here over any other place)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You guys should come to the brethren fall bash in October. Probably 30-40 minutes from GT.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Dads 70th is coming up. He lives in Georgetown and there is so much great Q around them. What is y'alls choice from the following:

FYI....Franklin's isn't an option due to the wait and line

1. Louis Mueller in Taylor
2. Blacks in Lockhart
3. Kreuz in Lockhart
4. Snows in Lexington

Feel free to throw in anything else

The Lockhart places are good, but there's places in Austin that are better and little to no lines.

If you can't get to Franklin, my choice would be

1) Micklethwait

2) LaBarbecue

As mentioned, Black Box is near dad and probably really good. I've never been so no opinion.

From YOUR list, I would probably pick Kreutz or Louie Mueller. FYI, the line at Snows is as bad as Franklin (hours). At least it was when I went. I thought Black's was very average and I would never go back.

BUT....

Being 70, I think dad might really like the ambiance and nostalgia of Louie Mueller or Smitty's in Lockhart, as opposed to a trailer in Austin. It's like a step back into the 1950's and you get to sit down inside. Both are really cool.

So my pick for DAD would be Louie Mueller in Taylor or Smitty's in Lockhart. I think he might like the nostalgia of it all the the BBQ is good too.

IMO all those spots are great. Snow's is a little more of a logistics thing, since they're only open on Saturday mornings and there is definitely a long line, but it is fantastic. I think you'd be happy at any of those places, and, as mentioned, they all have a cool atmosphere to them, so the whole experience is great.

Black Box is a great spot as well. Went there last November (and have been to John Mueller Meat Co. when it was in Austin). Zero line when we went and IMO his food deserves as much recognition as any of those other spots. It's a trailer with picnic tables.

Louie Mueller's, the Cathedral of Smoke. Best atmosphere (along with Smitty's), but the BBQ is killer as well. THE BEST BEEF RIBS IN EXISTENCE, PERIOD.

Louie Mueller's is such an iconic place with great food.

Met Gore there in March. Here's his review: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258202

One thing I tend to consider now is how memorable the place was. I can have fabulous BBQ, but two years later, I find it left little impression on me. A few places that have haunted me in Texas are Black's, the last time I had brisket there, LABBQ, and even though I was pretty stuffed already when I showed up, the rib at Mueller's with Frognot. Oddly, I thoroughly enjoyed Franklin's, remembering it as some of the best I've eaten. I especially enjoyed the time there with Greg and his sister, but the food doesn't haunt me as much as at these other places.

One thing I tend to consider now is how memorable the place was. I can have fabulous BBQ, but two years later, I find it left little impression on me.

I'm the same way. I prefer the actual BBQ at several of the more modern central Texas places, but there's nothing like visiting Smitty's and feeling like you're stepping back in time.

Back