The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #16
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeraz007 View Post
I don't remember that being part of my question. But thanks anyways
Just wondering if changing often (if that is the case) could affect consistency in knowing what might be a best fit smoker. Seems you are looking to get the best results possibly out of many cookers and I was just curious if this could be a factor. Not inferring anything. Just curious and actually looking to help.

I get it didn't relate totally to your question. Either cooker will do fine. But if you don't cook them much before switching again then it won't help either way. Take that for what it is worth, which i'm guessing isn't much for you. But it is honest advice.

Edit: When I was starting out I was chasing a bunch of things I thought were important until a few amazing folks pointed out I was in a "Forest from the trees" scenario to actually make my comp bbq better.
3 Hunsaker Drums
Weber 18.5 Kettle
Big Green Egg XL
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #17
joeraz007
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
Just wondering if changing often (if that is the case) could affect consistency in knowing what might be a best fit smoker. Seems you are looking to get the best results possibly out of many cookers and I was just curious if this could be a factor. Not inferring anything. Just curious and actually looking to help.

I get it didn't relate totally to your question. Either cooker will do fine. But if you don't cook them much before switching again then it won't help either way. Take that for what it is worth, which i'm guessing isn't much for you. But it is honest advice.

Edit: When I was starting out I was chasing a bunch of things I thought were important until a few amazing folks pointed out I was in a "Forest from the trees" scenario to actually make my comp bbq better.
Your help is greatly appreciated don't get me wrong. I agree I need to stick with a cooker for more than one season. But I am trying to find the one that I get along with the best. Most people try many before finding one they like. I believe this includes you as well.
joeraz007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #18
Jason TQ

Quote:
Your help is greatly appreciated don't get me wrong. I agree I need to stick with a cooker for more than one season. But I am trying to find the one that I get along with the best. Most people try many before finding one they like. I believe this includes you as well.
I hear you. We've only really switched twice. Went from gravity & WSM (for 2yrs) to backwoods (4.5yrs) and then last year I got drums just to play with since we don't compete but 3-4 times a year now. So over 7yrs we changed twice.

I don't know what the correct or "perfect" amount of contests that give the definitive sample size of yes or no on a cooker. But even "one season" might not be enough if a season only includes like 4-6 comps before switching. That's why I asked the number of contests question. It's a valid question. Too many variables other than the smoker that could have better placed efforts/practice vs changing cookers.

Because then all those flavors, textures, time lines, smoke quantity, wood type, heat flow, etc all get "semi-reset" each time you change a cooker. So if you have a smoker for 5 events you might be learning it, but change and then all those variables change as well. Might not be complete 180's on those variables, but the reason things are and are not working are just more than switching cookers.

Anyways....I'm all blah blah blah.....good luck.
3 Hunsaker Drums
Weber 18.5 Kettle
Big Green Egg XL
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #19
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

Nothing says you cant do a test cook every weekend to KCBS timeline .
You might even invite some local judges to critique.

Can hone any skill or cooker that way
WSM
Deep South GC 28
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain
SCA Certified Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want "
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #20
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

Was at a contest in Calgary ast year and at least 30 percent of cookers were Yoder Pellet.
Do not see many in Mid Atlantic. As to the FEC.. No one seems to have a bad word to say about them but seems like most are mounted on porch trailer rather than rolling out.
Not that there are not some.
WSM
Deep South GC 28
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain
SCA Certified Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want "
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #21
Prairie Smoke
On the road to being a farker

I've cooked on FEC-100 for about 5 years now... Added a YS640 in 2015, and in 2017 I swapped the FEC out for a YS1500 in my comp trailer. I like the flavour better in the Yoder, and better bark development. The very low airflow in the FEC was a problem in high humidity situations... With 50 lbs of meat in there overnight I struggled sometimes to get bark to adhere to the meat, even after 12 hours.
Memphis Pro, Yoder YS-640 comp cart
FEC-100, 120, 500
Southern Pride XLR-1400, SP-700 (2), SPK-500 (2)
Two 32' festival rigs
WSM x 4, UDS, Weber 22" OTG
You don't win friends with salad!
@prairie_smoke
Prairie Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2018, 06:40 AM   #22
joeraz007
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Smoke View Post
I've cooked on FEC-100 for about 5 years now... Added a YS640 in 2015, and in 2017 I swapped the FEC out for a YS1500 in my comp trailer. I like the flavour better in the Yoder, and better bark development. The very low airflow in the FEC was a problem in high humidity situations... With 50 lbs of meat in there overnight I struggled sometimes to get bark to adhere to the meat, even after 12 hours.
That is great info thank you. So are you pleased with the build quality of the yoder 1500?
joeraz007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #23
Burnt at Both Endz
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Smoke View Post
I find this interesting, because my better cooks on the FEC100 comes in high humidity situations. The only time I ever had problem setting bark was when I applied the rub to thick.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #24
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

I have owned both fec 100s and a YS 1500 and have won grand championships with both. They both are great units. FEC is very consistent, reliable, and easy to move around if you modify the wheels. The YS 1500 is a great comp cooker as you can set up different heat zones, it burns more pellets giving you more smoke flavor and a better bark without having to cook for more hours, it cooks more like a stick burner than a cabinet smoker. Most people that give up on a yoder usually can't grasp the different way it cooks from traditional pellet units. Guys like Rob have figured it out and have had a great amount of success.

The point being is you can win with almost any cooker. You just need to pick one and stick with it understand the concepts of heat flow and how your cooker works. Practice, practice, practice until you produce a system and results that are predictable. This is true for any competitive endeavor.

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ

Last edited by bigdogphin; 01-19-2018 at 11:14 AM..
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2018, 10:25 PM   #25
Prairie Smoke

Well now, maybe that's the ticket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
The only time I ever had problem setting bark was when I applied the rub to thick.
FEC-100, 120, 500
Two 32' festival rigs
@prairie_smoke

Old 01-23-2018, 10:27 PM   #26
Prairie Smoke

Quote:
That is great info thank you. So are you pleased with the build quality of the yoder 1500?
Build quality and finish is second to none.
FEC-100, 120, 500
Two 32' festival rigs
@prairie_smoke

Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #27
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I like the look of the cimmaron. How does it cooked compared to your jambo?

Jambo on pellets or sticks?

I cook hot and fast on the Cimarron -- I've removed the deflector plates completely and use 2 panels of Grill Grates right over the firebox (which is inside the cooking chamber) as ash deflector and searing station. I like it this way and I won a GC last year.

It's been 2 years since I lost the pellet fire on the back of the Jambo. Last year, I cooked a couple of contests with sticks and I expect it cooks very similar to any other J3 out there. It runs about 275-300 full out. It did about the same with the pellet fire system. I just brought the door to have a new pellet fire installed. So, I'll have options for this year and really can be better informed on comparison.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #28
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post

I cook hot and fast on the Cimarron -- I've removed the deflector plates completely and use 2 panels of Grill Grates right over the firebox (which is inside the cooking chamber) as ash deflector and searing station. I like it this way and I won a GC last year.

Interesting, very interesting!

Old 01-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #29
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post

It's been 2 years since I lost the pellet fire on the back of the Jambo. Last year, I cooked a couple of contests with sticks and I expect it cooks very similar to any other J3 out there. It runs about 275-300 full out. It did about the same with the pellet fire system. I just brought the door to have a new pellet fire installed. So, I'll have options for this year and really can be better informed on comparison.
Good to know the hybrid is coming back. Remind me about how many lbs. you burned at the Clinton Library...aka the most miserable contest of my life?;)

Pineland Liberator

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote