Canopy

BoneDaddy's

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Anyone have a good source for canopies? I see BJ's have them for $250 with sides, but looking to spend a bit less. Do the Wal-Mart's hold up for $125?

The ezups at Sam's are about $200 with sides and they have always held up good for me.

The canopies available at our local Wally World are no where near as sturdy as the EZUps at Sam's Club. Go with the EZUp. The ones I've seen here come with the sides.

+2 on the Sam's Club EZUp. Have had mine now for 3 years and it has been great and it has seen some weather.

One bit of advice. Order the EZUp sandbag weights direct from EZUp. They weigh 40lbs each when full and do a great job anchoring the canopy!

i purchased a caravan from sports authority. the steel frame model. it withstood one of the nastiest spring storms i've seen in a long time, the guys next doors EZ UP was left in a pile as they loaded into the car and had to leave.

if you're competing with it, save a bit more and get as high a quality as you can.

The Walmarts by me have several different canopies, so I am not sure which one you are speaking of but I have the $97 First Up and have bought the separate screen and walls for it and I have not had any issues with it yet. I have used it in wind and in rain and it has done good. The only thing I did is add canopy weights from Dicks Sporting goods. They look like weights with slots in them to slide onto the legs. They are 5 pounds each with 4 in a box so I bought 2 boxes and have 10 pounds on each leg.

I've used these guys for customized EZ-ups.

http://www.buyshade.com/

Great customer service.

The silk screen printing is awesome, but costs more than the canopies.

CD

I've had good luck with First Up at Wal Mart. I loaned one to a friend and he broke it I contacted the company for parts and they bent over backwards helping me get it back together....................

The Walmarts by me have several different canopies, so I am not sure which one you are speaking of but I have the $97 First Up and have bought the separate screen and walls for it and I have not had any issues with it yet. I have used it in wind and in rain and it has done good.

Same thing here, I bought the First Up too and I anchor mine with 5 gallon buckets of water. Mine was still standing when a lot of others were shredded this past comp season at several locations. Of course, I lower mine as low as I can get it when the winds start up. I don't know if even the best most expensive canopy can withstand Mother Nature's fury when she gets going though.

+2 on the Sam's Club EZUp. Have had mine now for 3 years and it has been great and it has seen some weather.

One bit of advice. Order the EZUp sandbag weights direct from EZUp. They weigh 40lbs each when full and do a great job anchoring the canopy!

Yeah get the weights like Bruce said or get some dog tie outs for the grassy areas because trust me the EZUps can fly really well. :)

My Buddy bought a commercial EZ up. I think he paid $250 for it. It replaced our $90 Wally World special that lasted 1 year. The Commercial duty has heavier metal work and thicker top and it came with the sides and roller bag. He has had it for 8 years now and we have been through some heavy storms with it with no damage or bending. His thought was "pay it up front or buy a couple of cheap ones for the same price"
Mind you, we do not do competition BBQ, but we do a bunch of different events from Yard sales, picnics, shooting competitions, etc. It has seen some hard use thus far.

EZ-Up makes several models. Owned 3 so far. There are, or were, some that had minimal framing, and would just disintegrate in any kind of storm. Thier "advantage" was that they folded up smaller, and were lighter than the heavier duty models.

Since I made weights for mine using large diameter PVC pipes filled with concrete, ours has stayed stable while those around us were launching. I only have the one fully intact, and have had it for 3 or 4 years now. The small profile one, and the other both need some parts, but should be fixable.

BoneDaddy's, you don't say if you want yours for comps, or some other reason, but another thing we did was purchase 3 (or 4) heavy duty canvas tarps, 10x10 feet each. They each weigh about 40 lb, and stabilize the tent even more. And the added plus is they give you shade when it's hot, and keep warm air in when it's cold.
I decided to get them after the wind blew one of the EZ-up sidewalls on mine onto the side of one of my cookers, melting it :mad2:

I've also heard many say the ones Costco carries are good as well...not EZ-Up, I forget the manufacturer, sorry

Back