Big Green Egg Question

d37fan

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has an Egg and he is starting to venture in to the world of smoking instead of just using it as a high priced grill. I have a UDS and I have been trying to give him some pointers. My question is, on the probe thermometers, where do you run the cables? Through the vent in the top, or across the seal between the top and bottom. I am going to get him a couple of thermometers so he can monitor meat and grill temp. Then if I can just get him to leave the lid closed, but that is for another day.
Thanks, Dale

I run the probes and cables between the top and bottom of BGE and also double wrap the probe and cable that extends to the outside of the dome with aluminum foil for added heat protection.

I'm fairly new to the BGE smoking myself.
I have the dual Maverick thermo.
I run both thermos between the gasket.
I place one in the meat and the second, just below the grate.
However, the dome does collect heat and is hotter near the top of the dome which where the meat is also located. Haven't read anywhere what the temp difference is at grate level vs. dome level.
I may place the probe through the vent this weekend.

Run them between the dome and base, you won't hurt the gasket or the cable. Folding foil over the cable will prevent it from getting gunked up, and if your buddy is cooking with the plate setter (legs up) I try to position the cable over the leg for additional protection.

I just run mine between the bottom and the lid sandwitched between the gaskets. If you just want the dome temp you can remove the guage and slide it in there.

I run the probes and cables between the top and bottom of BGE and also double wrap the probe and cable that extends to the outside of the dome with aluminum foil for added heat protection.

I do the same - cable isn't thick enough to affect the seal - the gasket is soft enough it just forms around it. Easier to open and close the egg that way too if you're a peeker as the cables in the top might get in the way :-D

Thanks for the advise. Hopefully we are on the way to some better Q.

I run them through the DFMT on the exhaust. I clip the pit temp probe to the bge therm.

Run them between the dome and base, you won't hurt the gasket or the cable. Folding foil over the cable will prevent it from getting gunked up, and if your buddy is cooking with the plate setter (legs up) I try to position the cable over the leg for additional protection.

I second this advice...

i too run them over the gasket, it still seals just fine.

someone above mentioned the difference between dome temp and temp at cooking surface, and its usually around 25-35 degrees or so, so if your friend is at 250 dome, he is likely around 225-235 at the cooking surface (assuming he is using a plate setter or some thing to make it an indirect cook).

I run my cable or cables between the gaskets w/o any leakage or problems.

Back