• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

wood bark

I'm a Santa Maria guy - we use the bark & all! IMHO - Smoke it all - unless the bark is rotten and nasty or something...

I do not use bark pieces. If someone has a mold or fungus allergy and it has penitrated the bark, the temperature of the smoker is not hot enough to kill it. So I avoid it all together. I was told this by our local health department.

I do not use bark pieces. If someone has a mold or fungus allergy and it has penitrated the bark, the temperature of the smoker is not hot enough to kill it. So I avoid it all together. I was told this by our local health department.

The firebox gets hot enough.

Just don't use funky looking or smelling wood.

Larger your pit the more forgiving it is. The more your pit breaths or the hotter it is makes a difference too.

Leave the Bark on the sticks .. no problems in a Stick burner. Fark ... I usually start my fire in my Lang 84 with bark that has seperated. Understand that my truck is in the open and my wood is under a shed dormer roof with a river rock floor .. meaning I treat my sticks with the utmost care in curing.

Got a 1/4 cord of white oak a month ago, split real nice (to 4-5") and it's curing above ground on a raised rack for good air flow all around. It has 1/2" bark on some pieces, and I had recalled reading the "not" stuff somewhere. Glad I read this today, think I'll leave it on. It anxiously awaits Dave Kloses' Grill Chef under construction.......

I leave the bark on no matter what. I dont give a rip what it looks like. I mean if it looks to nasty to use...then there is other questions you ought to be asking.

Some bark may be ok, but using too much may give you a bit of a bitter smokey taste.

Bark on but have a small hot fire. A lot depends what u are cooking on. What are u cooking on?

Thanks guys! This is why I bookmarked this forum. I'd heard from I don't remember where that the bark could leave an acrid flavor to your food. Great to have good input from people who really Q.

I use bark, limbs and all, but I pre-burn my wood, and just use wood embers.
Any possibility of bitterness (creosote) is removed in a pre-burn

xj, as long as the bark looks clean and no things growing and color looks natural, it shouldn't be a problem. Just another opinion bro.

I think the bark leaves that flavor if the wood is not burning properly. If the wood is lit and already burning hot, the bark is not an issue.

Thanks guys! This is why I bookmarked this forum. I'd heard from I don't remember where that the bark could leave an acrid flavor to your food. Great to have good input from people who really Q.
thats more from not having an adequate airflow.you're essentially eating creosote meat.
i leave the bark on hickory & if it's a small cook i'll just use hulls from the nut.

Back