Sausage Report

Bigdog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Brothers, I have seen the light. Some of you have been talking about the "Sausage Log" thingie (does it have a name?). Well, I tried it this weekend, and boy was it great. Did a 1 lb. JD hot. Sausage Heaven. If you haven't tried this one yet, you gotta do it. Easy and delicious. :)

I also smoked some of the Slovaceks Jap. from Sam's. Very good and hot. Have not tried some of their regular yet, I like it hot.

Tried some of the hot links from Wally World too. They were good too. Very red. Forgot the brand. Son loved them.

Did not like the Earl Campbell hot links though...not spicy enough for me, and the casing was tough.

I smoked a Farmland Hot log over the weekend. Excellent! 2 1/2 hours at 200/210 put it at 170 degrees - nice smoke ring. Still have 1/2 in the fridge. Sunday I reheated a couple slices to go with my eggs.

ditto on the sausage log. I threw in a 1lb generic breakfast sausage log, smoked to 170+.

that, my friends, was damned tasty. it did not last 24 hours after removal from the bandera,
and i was the only one that was eating it.

buuuuuurp.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Did a few logs yesterday. One was a brand name at about $2.50 or so a pound. The other 2 were cheapos at .99-1.29 per pound. The cheapos sucked ass after eating the good stuff. Fatty as could be. My opinion, go with a decent sausage.

I was at Sam's today and Jimmy dean costs 3.99 for a 2 pounder. That is what I will use from now on. Walmart Jimmy dean was $3.99 for 1 pound.

I had a thought for this weekend.

Take a 1# roll of spicy JDean and seperate into maybe five meatballs. Only smoke for a about 1.5 hours in heavy smoke and low temp, so as not to dry out. Might be near solid smoke ring. Then, into the chili pot they go. Might do 2-3 logs like this actually.

Anyone think that with work (rather than crumbling a whole one)? They should stay intact that way.

willkat98 said:
I had a thought for this weekend.

Take a 1# roll of spicy JDean and seperate into maybe five meatballs. Only smoke for a about 1.5 hours in heavy smoke and low temp, so as not to dry out. Might be near solid smoke ring. Then, into the chili pot they go. Might do 2-3 logs like this actually.

Anyone think that with work (rather than crumbling a whole one)? They should stay intact that way.

Sounds great. You will get a lot more flaver that way too. Let us know how it tastes.

How about a fatty?
Perfect Dog, Perfect 8)

I noticed the other day at out Wally super that chorizo comes without a casing in a skinny plastic chubb. I have to try it.

Smokin' a fatty. Oh yeah. I've got some award-winning locally made sausage out my way that ought to be great.

What'd you guys use for wood? Hick'ry? Gawd I bet that would be good in mesquite, though. <drool>

I like using hickory, but I have fallen in love with the sugar maple. Sweet and smokey, damn I'm getting aroused.........

Actually, I think it's one of the best "finds" of the new millenium. I don't think most would even think about smoking a sausage log, thinking it would turn out being a fatty mush ball. If you get a good quality brand of sausage, I think it can't be beat. I've shared the idea of smoking a sausage log and get some really strange looks and opinions. Then I get the phone calls saying "man, I'm sure glad you told me about it" or "guess what was the first thing that was cleaned up" or "next time I'm gonna do two."

It definitely is a keeper!

I did a party fatty last weekend, one of those 5# tubes of cheap hamburger with a half a bottle of Louisiana hot sauce mopped on it. Way overcooked it but it slices nicely and makes some good sandwiches to bring to work.

This sausage thing sounds like a good idea. Gonna have to try it next time I fire up a smoker. See? I'm already learning stuff here.

Back