Foil Pans?

Y

yankeesmoker

Ok Guys, just graduated from an electric to a DBS seen below on a test burn, now that I have the room, what are you thoughts on cooking in foil pans instead of directly on the rack. People say pans are better to allow the meat to cook in its own juices. Any benefits? Any drawbacks?

Attachments

• IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 191
Benefit-Your meat will marinade in it's own juices and you can even use this as a mop. Also makes foiling easy because you only need to throw a piece across the top.

Con-When I tried this I didn't get the bark I wanted. Granted I like mine almost to the point where it looks burnt to most people, but to each his own.

Aaron is right -- pans have their place but can kill bark and lower the smoke flavor (especially when the smoke is coming from below). I use them for the early part of my chicken cook.

They do make clean-up a bit easier, but often get in the way of good cooking in a smoker or any kind.

Hub

The meat's not left sitting in just juices, so it might not be the best way to go if you're cooking for anyone that's prone to call stuff greasy.

I cook brisket on the grate, then I put it in a covered pan then I put it back on the grate to set the bark.

You want Bark and finish off in pans????

Use pans and uncover the last hour and you will get back the Bark!!!!!|

I use pans ...... but I place a rack in the pan and then I can use the drippings.... and the meat gets a chance to get a complete bark.....

I use pans ...... but I place a rack in the pan and then I can use the drippings.... and the meat gets a chance to get a complete bark.....

1. How much does this effect the smoke flavor?
2. Where do you get the racks for the pans?
Thanks

Phesant, What’s the difference between your method and putting them on the rack with drip pans under them?

For the past couple of months I have been using pan 3 butts will fill one of those large alum pan. I get enough bark, and if you use real wood there be enough smoke flavor.

Back