• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What the heck is a fatty?

parrothead

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Seems like we talk about these all the time and it is one of the most asked questions of our new brethren(ette).

Buy yourself a log of breakfast sausage, you know the kind that you slice into patties and fry up in the skillet. Any kind will work, but we have pretty much settled on Jimmy Dean and Bob Evans. Cheaper brands tand to not taste any thing near that of the better brands, but tastes more like fat. Pick a flavor any flavor.

Take a knife and cut the wrapper off being careful to maintain the shape of the log. Place it in the smoker at your normal temps for smoking. Take it to 170 to insure doneness. This takes around 3 hours, but not usually more. I flip mine about half way through to get grate marks accross the top and the bottom.

Remove, slice, and enjoy.

Congratulations, you just smoked a fatty!

Next time, experiment with rubs or marinades if you care.

When they are on sale, I stock the freezer. I never fire up the smoker without tossing on a couple of fatties.

I think Brother Smokeypig deserves special recognition for bringing us the fatty Mod. Like a lot of good ideas it was built upon by the Brethren, Parrothead thought they needed a name and BigDogSmoker came up with the now infamous moniker.
Smokeypig, I'd be tickled to see "Author of the Fatty Mod" in you signature line. We really appreciate and enjoy the idea you shared with us so take a bow Brother.

I gots JD fatties at King Soupers (Kroger) 2 for $5. Got 4 in frig/freezer!

Hankster said:
Usually a fatty refers to a fat joint loaded with the herb, if you know what I mean!!! :wink:

i don't think the local law enforcement officials would frown too much on this version of smokin' a fatty.

can you imagine the look on the face of a policeman after offering to smoke a fatty? :lol:

I just cooked my 1st fatty. It was gobbled up quickly. I put a rub on it so I had to cut off the outer part fort the kids but they couldnt get enough. And as far as the wife, lets just say I know I'm getting lucky tonight. Thanks a lot!!

toytrader48 said:
I just cooked my 1st fatty. It was gobbled up quickly. I put a rub on it so I had to cut off the outer part fort the kids but they couldnt get enough. And as far as the wife, lets just say I know I'm getting lucky tonight. Thanks a lot!!

Gonna give the wife your own version of the fatty. :twisted:

My last Q I tried 'Fatties' for the first time. One Jimmy Dean, one hand rolled Italian Sausage from links, and one hand rolled Anduille from links.

Very noticable that the hand rolled from link ones were better.

Had my first Fattie and eggs the next day. Needless to say, best damn eggs I ever had.

........ Xczar

The fatties can change the complexion of a meal! Try 'em on biscuits!

I'm not reviving this thread.

I searched it out in Roadmap, which is a usefull tool

1# sage smoked (or unsmoked on the kettle) fatty (JD this time)
1 package Zatarains Dirty Rice

Smoked fatty Dirty Rice.

Good stuff

Ok, for someone who is not reviving a thread, this one seems to be breathing pretty good to me. Thanks, I had not read this one yet.
Smoked Fatty Dirty Rice...........Sounds like something I will eat this weekend.

Smoked Fatty Dirty Rice sounds like either a new movie or, more likely, something that will give me award winning room clearing gas.

willkat98 said:
I'm not reviving this thread.

I searched it out in Roadmap, which is a usefull tool

1# sage smoked (or unsmoked on the kettle) fatty (JD this time)
1 package Zatarains Dirty Rice

Smoked fatty Dirty Rice.

Good stuff

Didn't I do that a little while back?

CRS Mod

Back