5 hours and counting

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Well guys..

its neaqrly midnight. Muzzlebrake is on his way here, the trailer is packed and I'm sitting here wondering what I forgot.

In 5 hours we leave Long Island for a 1250 mile trip to KC for the Royal. We're doing the invitaitonal and the open, and being a first timer for a contest like this, I am thorougly prepared for a spankin. :redface: But hey, as we preach here.. "On Any Given Day"...

So, I hope im blessed with the same Mojo that we had for our very first contest 4 years ago when Parrothead and I walked in 3 catagories and GC'ed our first time out...... but thats alot to ask, so I'll settle for anywhere above DAL. :cool::icon_smil

Itinerary, Me, Muzzlebrake and Speedo(Danny) leave here at 5AM, Derive a little beyond halfway and then find a hotel, finish up Wednesday and hopefully pull into the royal grounds sometime late Wednesday. Jorge is driving up from TX on Wed, and my son James, MilitantSquatter and Yakfishingfool fly in on thursday and meet us at spot 928. Bigdog arrives on Friday. Then we do the 2 contests, and the guys fly out on Monday. Shawn, Danny and I are driving back and leaving the trailer IN KC. In 3 weeks we leave NY and drive down to Lynchburg(950 miles) for the Jack. HoDedo hauls the trailer from KC and meets us at the Jack. (saving us 2000 miles of trialer hauling). We leave NY on Wednesday and pul into the jack on Thursday. Vinny, Scott and James fly down Thursday and fly out Sunday, while we stop in nashville and hang for a day before heading back Monday or Tues.

So, in 5 hours the journey begins.. over 4000 miles in 3 weeks.. Im spooked and psyched at the same time. If anyone would have told me 4 years ago I'd leave the backyard to be doing this, I would have laughed.. But I guess fate was decided when we named the group....

"The BBQ Brethren.. From the Backyard to the American Royal!"

Wish us luck guys.. We're GOIN IN!!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I'll see youse guys Friday evening.

Oh, yeah ..... GOOD LUCK !!!!!

Holy hell, Phil! You're insane bro! You got my vote for the hardest of the hard core! You up for a poker game Thursday night or are you fools gonna be sleeping? :lol:

EDIT: Hey Phil, it just occurred to me that I've been feeling sorry for myself that I have to work the next two and a half days... then I read your thread about long 1200 mile road trips with gasoline over $3 per gallon and I'm more than happy to just go to work and relax until the Royal. Thanks for providing perspective! :wink:

Last edited:
Holy Crap!!! Thats a lot of miles!!!!

GOOD LUCK to the TEAM!!!

GOOD LUCK!!! That is some serious team work.

One day we hope to be in your shoes!!!

Phil, et al, GOOD LUCK!

I couldn't think of a nicer guy and a better group that I would like to see do this than you.

You are an inspiration, and deserve to win. Win or not though, I know that you are having the time of your life doing this with you son, and that's the way it should be.

So as you always do, make us Brethren proud.

thanks guys.....

we started out perfect!!

I overslept an hour and shawn and danny finished loading the trailer and hooked it up. Then decided it was a good idea to call and wake me. :)

But we be on the road, on the Cross bronx expressway actually.. with traffic, we should be off of this road by say...........

thursday.

I can't wait... I've had a lot of nice experiences in my life but I think these being a part of these two events may end up being up right up there.

Reality began kicking in for me on Sunday when I dropped of supplies to load in the trailer. I think we're prepared as we can be and we've got a great team that has now effectively worked together for several contests.

While Phil might be prepared for a spankin', I told him that I'm prepared for a few top 10's to balance out our mojo.

I'm heading out Thurs morning at 5AM.

I look forward to meeting any familiar and new faces.

The best of luck and safe travels to all the Brethren members.

But we be on the road, on the Cross bronx expressway actually.. with traffic, we should be off of this road by say...........

thursday.

Nice to hear that traffic is light today! :p

And remember, if there are no pics, it never happened.

Just spoke to Phil and they made it over the GW with no traffic :eek::biggrin:...I told him not to use all his miracles in one day:eusa_clap..he might need them:biggrin:...lol

Good luck guys...do it up Brethren style!!:mrgreen:

Looking forward to seeing you guys! Travel safe and we will see you here in KC in a couple of days.

My team hits the road this afternoon too. Be careful on the road Phil and if you get board you can count the number of Cracker Barrel and Waffle House restaurants on the way. That should keep you busy.

Good Luck Brethren. To bad you couldn't have brought along a camera and made a movie of the travels. The BBQ Brethren Project with bouncing shots and out of breath commentary. (Blair Witch Project mod).
Looking forward to seeing you guys again on Friday and meeting a few Brothers. Drive Safely.

Back