MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Loving this! I gotta make some. I somehow managed to grow up in TN and not eat Brunswick Stew. Don't has me how - it just happened.

I'm looking forward to making this myself - thanks for putting this up - love yer threads btw!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
peaspurple
is one Smokin' Farker

No offense Bo, but being from Georgia I'm gonna stick with it being from Georgia. Besides my Brunswick stew recipe is quite a bit different than yours. Even tho yours sounds tasty, I may give it a try.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
Boshizzle

Please share your recipe! I'd love to try it.

BTW - Here is an advertisement from a GA newspaper in 1926 for Old Virginia Brunswick Stew.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for posting that. I was just suggesting to my wife earlier that some of the left over beef chuckie would make good Brunswick stew. I was thinking about your other recipe that I got saved. Now I got something else to consider.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #20
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice job on the stew Joe!! Looks great!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #21
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Thanks for posting that. I was just suggesting to my wife earlier that some of the left over beef chuckie would make good Brunswick stew. I was thinking about your other recipe that I got saved. Now I got something else to consider.
If you make it using the chuckie, post some pics!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
Boshizzle

Here is a letter to the Editor of the Richmond Dispatch, Richmond, VA from June 14, 1891. This fellow was serious about his Brunswick Stew. It's also interesting that the newspaper seemed to be a forum for he and others to discuss cooking much like the Brethren site is for us.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Great post. I love the history.

Now, shall we do as the article suggests and debate the merits of chicken versus beef? I just don't see how chicken could be better than beef. And i much prefer our modern method of smoking the meat first and then adding it to the stew. Surely if the author had tried that he would be a wealthy man from the increased revenues a superior stew would bring.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
Boshizzle

The author of that letter was serious about his Brunswick stew and was a strong proponent of using squirrel with chicken a distant second. He was disappointed in the stuff he was finding at restaurants in town, apparently.

To me, a big part of Brunswick stew is letting the meat cook in the stew while all of the meat and bone flavors meld into it. Adding meat at the end doesn't give the same results. Not necessarily bad results just different. That said, as far as squirrel or chicken or beef or whatever kind of meat, I think that a good Brunswick stew can be made with any of them.

I wonder how it would be if it was cooked using a beef bone like a shank or a couple of ox tails and then add the BBQ beef? Hmmm, may have to give that a try.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #25
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm gonna have to give this a try. I was turned off of Brunswick stew for a long because my mom's was just not very good...at all. I have tried other recipes but always found that they were missing something.
This looks really good.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #26
seadad9903
Full Fledged Farker

Bo, i grew up in Ga but admit the Ga version is a transplant from Va. I also remember all the versions I had at home were sweeter and had a thicker tomato sauce.

My ex grew up in South Hill, Va. not too far from Brunswick. I got one of her mom's old recipes and have been using it for years. Best I've had. I'll dig it up and post it. Not too different from what you used, she always had country ribs and rabbit (fresh only, please) in hers.

Possum is another critter that was used, too.
seadad9903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #27
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Absolutely love Brunswick Stew! Have my own family receipe but love trying other versions. It's just such a great dish that can be customized however you want.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadad9903 View Post
Bo, i grew up in Ga but admit the Ga version is a transplant from Va. I also remember all the versions I had at home were sweeter and had a thicker tomato sauce.

My ex grew up in South Hill, Va. not too far from Brunswick. I got one of her mom's old recipes and have been using it for years. Best I've had. I'll dig it up and post it. Not too different from what you used, she always had country ribs and rabbit (fresh only, please) in hers.

Possum is another critter that was used, too.
Wow! Please post the recipe and some pron!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #29
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaGrillBillies View Post
Absolutely love Brunswick Stew! Have my own family receipe but love trying other versions. It's just such a great dish that can be customized however you want.
Care to share the recipe?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #30
Ribs'n'CoqBBQ
Found some matches.

That looks delicious, thanks for the recipe and tutorial. Gonna give 'er a whirl!!!
Ribs'n'CoqBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbecue stew, brunswick, Brunswick stew, Stew