Freezing Jambalaya Question

augie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Since it's a bit chilly here (by local standards), it seemed like a good excuse to cook up a batch of the Jambalaya that was featured in a thread on this site. Used some smoked chicken thighs and kielbasa for the meat - the kitchen smelled great last night!

Since me and my oldest son are the only ones in the house that will eat it, there's quite a bit that would likely go bad before we'd eat it all. I'll probably give some away to neighbors and co-workers, but I'd like to freeze some for a future quick fix.

After one day in tupperware in the fridge do you think it will be OK to vac seal and freeze?

I would not even question it. I do it all the time! But how do you freeze something that didn't happen?

I use the invisible freezer in the fantasy garage! :wink:

LMAO Great answer, best I've heard yet, but still it did not happen.

That may have been my thread you were refering to, with the three different types of Sausage (?). Anyway, the only issue I might take with freezing the leftovers is that rice may not take well to freezing/thawiing and reheating. I think the grain in the rice may break down and the ricwe bwecome crumbly. Just a thought, but certainly if you do it, let us know how it turned out. Pics help...

I've never had a problem doing this, and I'm infamous for freezing things for a long time. :oops:

One thing you may want to do is to make sure that it has plenty of liquid in it before you freeze it.

One thing you may want to do is to make sure that it has plenty of liquid in it before you freeze it.

What ^ said, but if it doesn't have a lot of liquid going into the freezer, I would not worry much about it, but I would add some on the reheat.

I freeze jambalayas, gumbos and other dishes with rice all the time. Works fine.

I would say that you're good to go. I'd put the mix in a Pam'd Tupperware container & freeze it before using the vacu-sucker, that way the juices stay in the bag while you can get all of the air out. Just my $0.02 :biggrin:.

I always freeze leftovers for a later date- even if you loose a little quality, which is minimal in my opinion, it still beats having nothing to fall back on when when you just don't have time to make it from scratch-

When you make it cook the rice in a separate container and add the jambalaya to it. Then you do not have a freezing problem and the rice does not absorb all of the juice

Back