MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #16
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek813 View Post
Love Myron or hate him, the guy knows how to cook. And for those folks that are expecting him to give up his exact recipes, that is NEVER going to happen and if you read the book closely, Myron doesn't try to hide the fact that the recipes in the book are in fact different than what he uses when he is in competition.
How about edible? There are numerous recipes that are not edible.

Quote:
Remember folks, competing is how Myron makes a good portion of his living and he is not going to print the keys to the kingdom for everyone to use. He is also not going to give up the real recipes at his cooking school even for the $750 bucks. They might be different than what is in the books but they won't be what he really uses.
You might want to look at his winnings for the last few years. If he can come out ahead with those winnings... he should try restaurants again for the fourth time.

Quote:
And finally, as one of the other people in this thread pointed out, you have to be careful with some of the recipes becasue there are a couple of printing mistakes that I ran into. The one glaring error is that his basic rub calls for 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper when it should have clearly been 2 teaspoons.
How benevolent of you to call them typos. What you have is a series of flawed recipes that will result in failure if followed. (glad you found one of the "good" ones)
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post

You might want to look at his winnings for the last few years. If he can come out ahead with those winnings... he should try restaurants again for the fourth time.

How benevolent of you to call them typos. What you have is a series of flawed recipes that will result in failure if followed. (glad you found one of the "good" ones)
Where can I buy your cookbook?
I bet it is perfect and I want one.

Also, where can I review your winnings for the last few years? I am sure you are swimming in cash.

And your successful restaurant (maybe I missed it) is located where? I really want to eat there.

Just Curious.

TIM

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

I believe a man can never have enough BBQ cookbooks. Everyone one I own has an interesting technique, marinade, spice, sides, etc. that I can use and maybe integrate into my BBQ for a different twist.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Where can I buy your cookbook?
I bet it is perfect and I want one.
I have yet to do anything perfect and never claimed to (nice spin, I say edible and you say perfect). However, I have wrote numerous white papers and technical documents. I stand behind every one.
Quote:
Also, where can I review your winnings for the last few years? I am sure you are swimming in cash.
The statement this references was not an attack on Myron, it was an against the idea that the bad recipes are a way to keep him winning (illuminate the logical fallacy). No one expects his comp recipes, but they do deserve better than the poor ones on offer.
Quote:
And your successful restaurant (maybe I missed it) is located where? I really want to eat there.

Just Curious.

TIM
This is the funny one. I sold it ten years ago at a handsome profit. Keep your hat on for the next one. Gathering resources as we speak and actually offered on a property, but do not expect this one to happen.

My statements were not ad hominem (except the cheap shot about the restaurants, on good days I am better than that, I do regret that) yours however are. BUT that's okay. Really.

Have you cooked any of the recipes or are you just a fan? The book really is the topic for me.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #20
NYCQ
Got Wood.

I like Smokin'. I did his cupcake chicken and it came out great
NYCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
stevek813
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post

WOW!!! Help me, help me, I just had both barrels of a shotgun unloaded on me because I chose to give my opinion about Myron's books which is what the orginal post was about.

I stand by my orignal post. I like the books and I find Myron entertaining and I don't imagine a good 'ole boy from south Georgia would blast anyone for trying to help someone out. Have a good day.
stevek813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

The fried chicken recipe in Smokin is pretty dang good IMO. I don't cook out of books that often (but I sure do love to buy 'em and read 'em!) and when I do cook out of books, it's very rarely Myron's - but I'm glad I have it.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #23
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I've used his whole hog technique twice now, using his injection, glaze, and rub and both times it's come out amazing. I just got Everday BBQ and a lot the recipes look pretty good, though I haven't tried any yet.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote