Noob, first smoke with WSM (pr0n)

rcw320

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to all here for the great info.

I used everything I learned here.. and these are a few pics of my work :wink:

Royal Oak Lump. 4 hickory chunks. Grate temp stayed around 300 F.

The last pic was taken right before I pulled the meat off @ 196. I wrapped it in foil and put it into a cooler, to be eaten in a few hours.

IMG_0419_zps1a28f9de.jpg

IMG_0420_zps088e7915.jpg

IMG_0421_zps8991e237.jpg

IMG_0427_zpsdeb359fe.jpg

Looks great! :hungry:

Did you wiggle the bone? Temperature is not a reliable way to test doneness. Nevertheless, at 196 the worst you might face is one a little harder to pull but every bit as tasty!

Looks good. Making me hungry. How big and how long did it take with the grate temp at 300? Haven't done one quite that high yet.

Looks good. Making me hungry. How big and how long did it take with the grate temp at 300? Haven't done one quite that high yet.

The store bought weight was 9.75 lbs. It cooked from approx 0930-1630, 7 hours.

Thanks all for the compliments. I'm gonna need a rodeo clown to get my kids away from the meat cooler... I can't fight them off much longer ;)

Also: When I had a lil sample, the rub was too salt/peppery.. would probably be great for beef, but I'll use a more neutral-tasting rub for pork next time.

The store bought weight was 9.75 lbs. It cooked from approx 0930-1630, 7 hours.

Thanks all for the compliments. I'm gonna need a rodeo clown to get my kids away from the meat cooler... I can't fight them off much longer ;)

Also: When I had a lil sample, the rub was too salt/peppery.. would probably be great for beef, but I'll use a more neutral-tasting rub for pork next time.

When you pull the pork and have the chunks with bark mixed it, it won't be too salty and peppery. The nice thing about an almost 10lb piece of meat is that it is very hard to overseason.

Back