MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Fishawn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
Kingsford blue is extremely consistent fuel. I use it almost all the time. I had two bad bags of Royal Oak a few springs ago. The must have been stored on a warehouse floor because they did not seem to come up to full temp. I have since used more at friends places and it was very good. Long story short, the blue has never let me down for over twenty years. It is not showy but I know it well. It reminds me of Jim Beam bourbon and Grain Belt beer. They might not be trendy but they are a great product that always gets the job done.
X2..... I've also been using Kingsford for years with great results, but been trying RO briq's lately a bit & think it's pretty good also. I also tried a few bags of Stubbs & didn't car for it. The KBB does tend to ash up & clog vents/air flow on longer cooks though from my experience. The KBB is consistent & buying it when it is on sale saves a lot of $ in a year of cooking too.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #17
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
X2..... I've also been using Kingsford for years with great results, but been trying RO briq's lately a bit & think it's pretty good also. I also tried a few bags of Stubbs & didn't car for it. The KBB does tend to ash up & clog vents/air flow on longer cooks though from my experience. The KBB is consistent & buying it when it is on sale saves a lot of $ in a year of cooking too.
what did you not like about Stubbs?

I think its excellent and doesnt have that off smell that KBB has lighting up which I dont want on my food when doing a minion burn on my vertical
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Kingsford gives consistent results for me in helping get an initial coal bed started cause it takes a pretty sizeable coal bed to keep my cooker temp up properly because of the design, which was not an accident and was intentional because I do not have a cold end or hot end in my cooker. It is about 50 degrees hotter right in the center back about 8"x18" where the heat/smoke comes in but the temp on each side of that will be within a 10 degree variance. What I do is start my fire with wood splits and fire up a chiminey full KBB and add to it and let that burn down until I have a sizeable and consistent/efficient coal bed and then throughout the cook, as needed, I add more wood. My beast takes a lot of "fuel" food to keep her running and I learned real quick that I couldn't afford to keep her fed anything other than wood. I would literally go broke trying to keep enough KBB or lump in there to cook with.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #19
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj View Post
Kingsford will throw white smoke at first, but then settle down. I wait until the white smoke is done and the temp is right to put my food on.
Using the fuse method, it never seems to clear and clean up. I'm strictly lump now and happy as a clam.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I bought a two pack of the KB last Labor Day sale and still haven't opened the second bag yet. I seem to keep getting more bags of Stubbs and Kingsford Comp...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

It's like beer. I used to drink crap beer (BudMilloors), then I got my mind right. I'll still drink the swill when it's the only thing around. (Thankfully, it rarely is. And of course I apologize to all who love that beer. )

Same w/ BBQ fuel. Used to use KBB, and still will in a pinch, but now going mostly lump. I'll buy a twin-pack to have in reserve during the Memorial Day sale probably.

Lump prices are good right now, so I'm loading up. The True Value Cowboy online deal is great- $8.99/20# bag, plus $5 off any $30+ purchase. Trader Joe's hardwood briqs are $8.99/18# bag.

The reduction in ash alone is worth the price increase over KBB, imHo.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #22
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Kingsford is not all things to all cooks. If I was Minion only it would be down on my list. I do a ton of indirect higher heat grilling and smoking on my old green Mastertouch Weber kettle. Tonight I will sear some brats, put them in a foil pan with onions and two beers and then cook indirect in the beer for an hour. The onion will be nice an browned and the brats will be perfect. I will toast to the Kingsford blue for being ideal for performance to price and then consume a Grain Belt Premium beer.
In a few weeks I will go wild on the memorial day sale and stock up on blue for the rest of the year.

I have this strange belief that a lot can be accomplished with a Weber kettle, a bag of Kingsford blue, a nice cut of meat, and some apple wood. 80% of my cooking is that simple but I don't neccessarily see it as simple cooking.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
Kingsford is not all things to all cooks. If I was Minion only it would be down on my list. I do a ton of indirect higher heat grilling and smoking on my old green Mastertouch Weber kettle. Tonight I will sear some brats, put them in a foil pan with onions and two beers and then cook indirect in the beer for an hour. The onion will be nice an browned and the brats will be perfect. I will toast to the Kingsford blue for being ideal for performance to price and then consume a Grain Belt Premium beer.
In a few weeks I will go wild on the memorial day sale and stock up on blue for the rest of the year.

I have this strange belief that a lot can be accomplished with a Weber kettle, a bag of Kingsford blue, a nice cut of meat, and some apple wood. 80% of my cooking is that simple but I don't neccessarily see it as simple cooking.
whats so strange about that?

sounds perfectly normal to me.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #24
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Use it hot to kick off the minion method with lump in your UDS. or Buy a dutch oven.
X2.....

Exclusively lump. Kingsford smells bad as in stinky.

Messed up and seasoned a Mini UDS I built from a 15 gallon drum and it took me 4 burns with lump and mesquite chips to get the Kingsford stink out.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #25
williamj
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
Using the fuse method, it never seems to clear and clean up. I'm strictly lump now and happy as a clam.
Yeah, I've been meaning to try lump for a while, but I've used the minion method with the kingsford and didn't have the white smoke problem. I will admit though it does put out a foul odor when first lit.
williamj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #26
RustyGrill
Knows what a fatty is.

I use the Kingsford Blue almost exclusively in my OTG, for cooks ranging from minutes to 3-4 hrs. I've been pretty darn happy with it. Once and a while I might wish for more heat, but except for those rare times it does just what I want it to do. Very likely that my pallet isn't particularly refined, but I've had no issues related to taste or weird smell or anything of that nature. To each his own :)
RustyGrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #27
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

I tried the Kingsford Hickory last weekend, won't be monkeying around any more. I'm going back to Stubbs and staying, lights quicker and less ash, not to mention the food tastes better.

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
Fishawn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
what did you not like about Stubbs?

I think its excellent and doesnt have that off smell that KBB has lighting up which I dont want on my food when doing a minion burn on my vertical
To me Stubbs smells bad when lighting.... Maybe I'm just used to the smell of KB or had a bad couple of bags.... Smelled really strong/harsh to me.... Maybe I will try some again & see... Just my observations..... All brands seem to have their followers.... I also do mostly indirect grilling & some longer cooks on WSM & Performers (butts/brisket) & the KB does ash up pretty bad compared to the others.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #29
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
To me Stubbs smells bad when lighting.... Maybe I'm just used to the smell of KB or had a bad couple of bags.... Smelled really strong/harsh to me.... Maybe I will try some again & see... Just my observations..... All brands seem to have their followers.... I also do mostly indirect grilling & some longer cooks on WSM & Performers (butts/brisket) & the KB does ash up pretty bad compared to the others.
Stubbs smells natural to me. I run KBB in my kettle for basic grilling. I run lump for caveman steaks and run stubbs in my WSM for smoking. Seems to work for me.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #30
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I use Kingsford a lot, I have tried Stubbs and I like Kingsford better. I guess its what Im use to. My only complaint with Kingsford is the amount of ash it leaves behind.
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote