MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
schmitty28
On the road to being a farker

Default cutting boards

what type of cutting board is preferred wood, plastic, vinyl,?

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

And WHY? Looking forward to this one.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Depends on where it's being used. I like wood at the house, but I have a big ole plastic one (18x24) that I bring to comps, because it's thinner. I've been thinking about getting a pack of disposables for comp use though.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Iso
Knows what a fatty is.

Vending & Comp: Disposable.
At home: plastic - easy to clean

Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
schmitty28

why? food safety, wear and tear,

Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I use plastic. Just because of the environment it is being used.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
I've been thinking about getting a pack of disposables for comp use though.
Stop wasting your time thinking, and just do it. You'll have no regrets.

Heck, I now sometimes use the disposable ones at home too.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
maxwell7
Full Fledged Farker

everything i read on cutting board saftey ultimately says --WOOD--less bacteria growth , less cut marks , and cleans easily. I also have 3 boards i use . ALL are 30 bucks each from walmart and Paula Dean Acacia wood boards. One is normal 15x15 , the other two are both " Flour" baking boards and thinner ,( approx 15x20 or so) but one is a cutting board for use in spatch-cocking chicken and the like, the other IS a baking board. All Acacia wood ,essentially end-grain , beautiful , and i love them. NO problems thus far , and i'd recommend to anyone. Besides , how many of us can REALLY afford 1,2,and 300 dollar boards?
maxwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Motley Q

Bamboo is it.

Wood boards are 1980's news. Anyone who says wood hasn't used bamboo.

Plastic boards can cut and get very dirty. Anyone who works in a restaurant knows that.
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Arlin_MacRae

Home only: I've used all kinds of cutting boards (I even found my wife using a glass one - once...) and I'm a believer in plastic. You can get 'em big as you want and they're easy to store and move around. Yep, they get cut up and I'm sure bacteria can hide in the cuts if you don't clean the boards right. So...clean the board right! I scrub with a dish cloth and soap, rinse, then spray with commercial bleach cleaner. Lean it up against the sink's backsplash and let it air dry. I've had no funky taste, ever, and discolored spots fade away like magic.
For the record I've never tried bamboo. ;)

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Mad About Que

I've got 2 wood ones that i used to carry around, one is a 24x20 boos block and the other is a 12x18 block that was made for a family memeber in the 60's. too small to use for BBQ, but looks friggin cool. I've got a couple pf the large plastic ones for comps currently, but have a few packs of various sizes on my "wish list"..

here's a on topic sub question.. has anyone ever used just regular poster board for a disposible cutting board? just a guess that the disposible ones are any more "sanitary" out of the package... was looking at one a while back and it looked/felt like thin posterboard...

Old 02-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
thillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Que View Post
here's a on topic sub question.. has anyone ever used just regular poster board for a disposible cutting board? just a guess that the disposible ones are any more "sanitary" out of the package... was looking at one a while back and it looked/felt like thin posterboard...
I have heard of people using pizza boxes. not sure, but i assume they were the thin ones, not the corrogated cardboard.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
landarc

I use Epicurean pressed fiber boards. And I am slowly phasing out all of my other boards.

Bamboo:
very durable, all the benefits of wood, but, easier to take care of and more tightly grained. I do not like them because I feel they are slow boards and that they 'grab' the edge.

Wood:
Unless it is end grain maple, they all wear out and crack. End grain maples is wonderful stuff, but, pricey and heavy.

Plastic:
Easy to care for, easy to sanitize, light, cheap and easy to handle. Bad for knives. Other than glass, there is no board that is worse for you knife edges.

Glass:
Why not just take your knives on and scrape them across the sidewalk?

Epicurean boards are thin and light, they are easily cleaned (dishwasher safe) and sanitized (will work in a commercial steam sanitizer, or bleach), water proof, do not need oiling and will not split or crack. They are not cheap ($35 to $50), but, nowhere as expensive as a quality wood board ($150 to $300). They are a fast cutting surface and do not damage the edge on even the thin edged Japanese carbon knives.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
maxwell7
Full Fledged Farker

I've had two bamboo boards and liked them. However, both were washed appropriately , dried , oiled , and stored on edge--and cracked. one down the middle , another 2-3 inches in.Granted , they were thinner boards , not expensive , and certainly not 2 or more inches thick , nor end grain. So , I'll stick with my 2 inch or more thick affordable wood boards until I can afford a thick end-grain bamboo.!!
maxwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

For what it may be worth to this discussion, Cook's Illustrated recently gave its top rating to an edge grain teak board by ProTeak. It is not as expensive as Boos, but is pricey.

Once I read their recommendation, I started using the back of a Dansk teak carving board that I have been using since 1966. So far I notice little difference from the bamboo boards I have been using for the past two years. Perhaps it will be easier on the knife edge as it seems softer.

I use boards at home only.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote