MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Brisket as a fairly recent trend

So John Fullilove of Smitty's in Lockhart had an interview where he talked about what was popular in Smitty's when was growing up. Seems like he mentions it in other interviews as well. When he was growing up - he's shy of 40 - the more popular items served were clod, sausage, and smoked pork chops. He talks about brisket as a more recent trend.

Pretty interesting considering the trifecta in which Texas BBQ joints are now judged is Brisket, Sausage, pork ribs.

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep, brisket is a more recent cut of meat for BBQ. Remember back in the depression era, there was a demand for cheap cuts of meat that could be cooked into delicious meals and sold at a low price while still offering a margin for a profit. Pork ribs and beef brisket fit the bill. The only way to make ribs and brisket tender is to cook them for long periods of time. Well to do people didn't want them. So, that made them cheap and very desirable to a person running a BBQ restaurant. Low cost meat cooked to perfection passed on to a customer base without a lot of money but still wanting to eat something delicious that was also affordable. Those meats fit the bill very well.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Good video, thank you.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I enjoyed the video. Thanks! Makes me really want to take a tasting trip to Texas, just like Harry Soo (Slad Yo Daddy) just did.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Yep, brisket is a more recent cut of meat for BBQ. Remember back in the depression era, there was a demand for cheap cuts of meat that could be cooked into delicious meals and sold at a low price while still offering a margin for a profit. Pork ribs and beef brisket fit the bill. The only way to make ribs and brisket tender is to cook them for long periods of time. Well to do people didn't want them. So, that made them cheap and very desirable to a person running a BBQ restaurant. Low cost meat cooked to perfection passed on to a customer base without a lot of money but still wanting to eat something delicious that was also affordable. Those meats fit the bill very well.
Well,... cooking beef for long periods of time is not really how it happened at the pre '99 (or '00) Kreuz Market, (which is now Smitty's), or how it happens at Smitty's, or how it happens at the new Kreuz...... Those pits are running 375° or more. I think Blacks also cooks hot and fast.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Great Video ....Thanks for Sharing !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Enjoyed the video. Thanks

Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Yep, brisket is a more recent cut of meat for BBQ. Remember back in the depression era, there was a demand for cheap cuts of meat that could be cooked into delicious meals and sold at a low price while still offering a margin for a profit. Pork ribs and beef brisket fit the bill.
Well according to Fullilove, in other interviews not this video, he only really seen a rise in brisket demand in the past 10 years. The breakdown of the top sellers are pretty interesting in terms of price demographics. Pork chops are the very definition of "high on the hog" where as clod and sausage would be economy cuts.

Again Fullilove is nearing 40 so if let's say he was a real inquisitive lad at the age of 10, that would mean that from the 80s to new Millenium brisket wasn't remotely a dominant seller at Smitty's. Sometime after Y2K, is when he started seeing brisket as the big seller.

It might also be due to their own pricing. Clod as BBQ is as inefficient pricing as you're gonna get, especially since McDonald's is paying for that same cut of meat for the billions and billions served Big Mac's.

So brisket as a lower priced option is still true but I imagine it probably had to do more with the increasing competition for clod that drove up that price and moved people to brisket.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
chad

I notice everyone BUT the Texans are chiming in:
I left San Antonio in 1997 and prior to that we cooked and ate a LOT of brisket. Bought the $.79 a pound "specials" at HEB (limit 2 per customer). My kids learned at an early age how to stand in line to buy two brisket.
So, commercially, brisket may be a new "mass" market meat - but it's been on the menu for a long time.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
I notice everyone BUT the Texans are chiming in:
I left San Antonio in 1997 and prior to that we cooked and ate a LOT of brisket. Bought the $.79 a pound "specials" at HEB (limit 2 per customer). My kids learned at an early age how to stand in line to buy two brisket.
So, commercially, brisket may be a new "mass" market meat - but it's been on the menu for a long time.
Not saying it hasn't been on the menu for a long time. The fact that it's popular enough now to be considered one of the Big 3 of Texas BBQ is a recent development though. Even when I was living in Texas "BBQ Brisket" was smoked first and then simmered in a crockpot with sauce to tenderize.

So no doubt it's not a popular texan meat but the care and attention to detail now given to it is far from a historical tradition.

I left Lubbock in 2003 btw

Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
landarc

He said they are running their pits around 400F, no thermometers. I like hearing that. i should would like to know more about the pork roasts, and how those are cooked.

I first learned about cooking briskets from a gentleman who left southern Oklahoma and called Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana his home states, but, he had been gone from 1942, and he cooked a lovely brisket. Said he had learned as a boy, before he left at the age of 20. Man, I wish I could cook like that man.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
Not saying it hasn't been on the menu for a long time. The fact that it's popular enough now to be considered one of the Big 3 of Texas BBQ is a recent development though. Even when I was living in Texas "BBQ Brisket" was smoked first and then simmered in a crockpot with sauce to tenderize.

So no doubt it's not a popular texan meat but the care and attention to detail now given to it is far from a historical tradition.

I left Lubbock in 2003 btw
I lived there '88-'97 and every joint I went to had brisket and sausage for sure. Ribs, maybe. Chicken, often. Smoked turkey was popular. But the butcher block seemed to always have a brisket out being sliced for plates. But, maybe brisket wasn't popular and I just ran with the crowd that liked it!! Never had crockpot brisket in Texas...around my bunch you'd probably have gotten lynched!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think that it has more to do with it, and BBQ in general, being all over TV now more than any time in recent history.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

I liked his advice at the end

Buy good meat, put some fire to it and don't burn it.

No better words to live by.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
Boshizzle

Let's face it, even cooking a brisket at 400* for 4 to 5 hours is a "long time" compared to grilling up burgers or dogs. You don't need hours for steaks, burgers, pork chops, etc. to make them tender. Brisket was and still is a relatively cheap cut of meat because it must be cooked for long periods of time to become tender.

So, while hot and fast may be hot, I still don't think 5 hours is a fast cook.