My buddy is a newbie - is a UDS right for him?

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been posting a lot about UDS building b/c I'm researching it heavily. I wanted to get a few of my friends in on it so perhaps we could build 3-4 at a time all together. One of my buddies has a big interest in smoking but has never done so alone. He's a newbie to the grilling world. He's watched me smoke a few pork butts and brisket but never tackled the stuff solo.

Is a UDS real hard to get used to compared to let's say a 18.5 inch WSM? Or is it about the same learning curve?

I've been smoking and grilling long enough that I'm certain I can handle any issue that the UDS presents but I'd feel awful if we get these UDSs built and my buddy can't manage it.

So would you think a UDS is a good beginners smoker?

Thanks,

John

As a beginner, I was looking for something that can go from 225 to 350 and is easily controllable. If a UDS can do that, it should be fine

Three words: "Most definately YES!" It's also good for seasoned BBQ cooks.

Yes!

And, there are not too many issues with a UDS other than storing it out of the rain/snow. My storage space is very limited.

wallace

I would say yeah like everybody else. They are pretty much idiot proof. I've got 2 of them. They don't cook the same though.

Another YES here! I think everyone should have at least one. :grin:

Your buddy will also have you to guide him along if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UDS is a great 1st smoker. It's offered at a great price point. Can be real cheap with some work or you can go buy one if you have no time.

You can smoke anything in it except for a whole hog so it's versatility is great. Also I think it's real easy to control it's temp.

Once he learns the minion method to start his drum he'll be onto ribs and other delicious Q in no time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, with one caveat. Beginners always want to take the lid off and spritz and whatever. The temperature soars and they burn up their food. Some think that taking the lid off will cool it down.... ??? Leave the stinkin' lid on and let it cook!!

Best thing for him to learn...............Minion and catch the temps on the way up and cover it so it stabilizes. I agree no spritzing and leave the lid on. If you're lookin, ya ain't cookin!:biggrin1:

Does your buddy have a grill now? And does he at least cook steaks, chops, wings, sausage and the like? If so it will be easy for him to move into a smoker..... and a drum is as good a choice as any. If not..., starting with a smoker, but not being able to grill sometimes might cause him to loose interest.

IMO learning on an offset really forces you to learn the basics of fire control.

Yeah sure cheap ones suck at keeping even temps but having to actually build a fire and keep it stoked, whether with charcoal or wood, can go a long way in learning technique. Don't get me wrong, Minion method is great, but there is just something primal about building a fire and having to keep up with it.

A UDS just seems too easy for a beginner. No problem with starting out with one though!! :thumb: He just might have trouble if he moves on to something like a Lang 48 or similar with never having actually learning good fire control.

I am getting pretty excited to make mine.

I have been smoking for the last 10 months mostly with my 22" OTG (although I also made a mini-WSM). I've gotten pretty good with the OTG, but it still takes a bit of babysitting to get and keep the temperature I want, particularly with longer cooks. I can only imagine how much easier it will be to maintain temperatures for a long time with a UDS without the need to babysit it, constantly adjust vents, add water into a water pan, add more charcoal, etc. I bet it will also be far more efficient on fuel too.

X2 what flying bassman said. I started on a cheap offset (which I still have) and man will it drive anyone nuts trying to maintain the desired temp. Got another free offset and is a little better at holding temps. Built a UDS and now have no idea what to do with all my free time. Holds steady temp for long hours. Will be building another soon.

Back