MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
BBQNCO
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default New wood smoker ideas please

So, I got for father's day two years ago a little Char-Broil Big Easy gas grill/smoker/rotisserie. I got some decent smoke out of it, but what a bloody pain to put more wood into it!! I am looking to get into an offset smoker. My wife (aka HH6) has put a provision on me buying one. It needs to be able to also grill.

I was looking at a couple of offsets that have a drum grill in the middle (Medina River Outdoors 68 Big Daddy Double Smoker) and was wondering if anyone could help me. I was also looking at a Dyna-Glo Offset Smoker and buying a second grill so she could use that one. Any help finding something at a reasonable price would also be a great help. Thanks everyone who helps in advance
BBQNCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

whats your budget ? and what do you cook ?
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
BBQNCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
whats your budget ? and what do you cook ?
Richard, right now I'm using a Char-Broil Big Easy and cooking everything from ribs and butts to salmon and turkeys. I would like to keep it under 500, but would be wiling to go as high as 1k (though that would mean waiting till later this year).

Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Keep what you have as a grill and take your time to find a smoker that fits your needs. Don't rush into a purchase....

I bought an offset years ago because I wanted it. When it came to using it, it was not really what I needed. I wound up waiting to sell the offset to purchase a vertical.

Long story made short, think about what your actual needs are and when you select a smoker that fits them, ask for input to help guide your selection.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

what about a pellet smoker ? an older made in Oregon Treager can be had for a good price , tons of support and parts are easy to get
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
BBQNCO

IamMadMan, I was looking at an offset vertical for smoking (the Dyna-Glo) because the way an offset is designed appears that it would be easier to start and the vertical portion would meet all my smoking needs. I will be doing it for family and friends, but also for my Soldiers (so need to be able to do a good amount at a time for them, a couple butts and racks of ribs). I can't make as much as I want right now due to the space constraints from the Big Easy. Also trying to find a Bandera with how little is out there on the Dyna-Glo (only thing I heard is that it is not reliable with temps and getting to 250).

Tags
Maryland, Military, new guy, new smoker