UDS build party weekend.

ymmiT

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So my brother and I started our first drums this weekend. We got more drinking done than building but we did get something accomplished.
View attachment 62079
View attachment 62080
Didn't have wood to start out Saturday, but we did have my new weed burner. This thing is cool! For some reason this drum's liner bubbled right off when the other identical drum didn't
View attachment 62081
Making progress.
View attachment 62082
It's 75* on St Patty's day in Minnesota. Time for a bonfire. Only one way to light one now.
View attachment 62083
Anybody got a light?
View attachment 62084
My brother cleaning up the first drum.
View attachment 62085
While I burn out the other.
View attachment 62086
Lunch.
View attachment 62087
Dinner.

I'll keep this updated as we make progress.

Last edited:
Lookin' good. What are you cooking the pizza and ribs on?

It was a great weekend to start our builds. Can't beat the nearly 80* in March in Minnesota!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

That pizza looks really tasty!

It was! Ribs too. Just a few rib tips left over. Sausage pizza on the grill is my new favorite pizza. The sausage really takes on the smoke well. 75% AP flour with 25% rye flour makes a pretty dang good dough too.

So now that our drums are burned out, how do it get all the burnt up paint/liner off so I can repaint and season? Right now I'm using an 18V Dewalt with a 3" wire wheel thing cause its all I have and it is taking forever. Am I just using the wrong tools?

Sent from my 3vo using Tapatalk

All I did was weed burner and 3000 psi pressure washer and it was clean as a bone. Maybe not clean enough for a show car but good enough for a smoker.

you really shouldn't cook pizza with a blow torch.

Drum # 1 mocked up with first coat of paint. Just need to mount hardware, finish the paint job and season. Then on to my drum.

Sent from my 3vo using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mostly finished

Well we finally finished our first UDSs. Just need to get some wheels on em. Seasoned and did our first smoke on each. 8 lb butt on mine and 4 lb chicken and baked beans on my brothers. Now for the pron.

Exterior paint removed
View attachment 62523
Brother cleaning the inside after the burnout and first coat of paint.
View attachment 62524
Inside with fire basket
View attachment 62526
Got me a weber on CL for $20 or lid and grates
View attachment 62527
Lighting for seasoning
View attachment 62528
Seasoning
View attachment 62529
Seasoning
View attachment 62530
Both in action on the maiden voyages
View attachment 62531
And the results
View attachment 62532
View attachment 62534
View attachment 62533
View attachment 62535

Last edited:
Great looking drums and chow!!

Great job fellow Minnesotan (well i've been transplanted :sad: ) Food looks great!

Is there a reason you burned the outside of the drums, just cause or does it need to be done? Im gonna start to make my first one soon and wanna make sure I do it right.

Dang man your neighbors are gonna love you guys as if they probably don't already. How did you ever light that cig so close to that flame? Asbestos face?

Is there a reason you burned the outside of the drums, just cause or does it need to be done? Im gonna start to make my first one soon and wanna make sure I do it right.

Mostly because the weed burner is fun to use. It did remove most of the liner at the same time on one drum too. My burnout fire would've been enough though.

Skidder said:
Dang man your neighbors are gonna love you guys as if they probably don't already. How did you ever light that cig so close to that flame? Asbestos face?

My brother was too scared to do it himself:razz: The few beers beforehand helped with the courage.

Back