brisket cooler question

blake

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just finished my first kettle brisket (full packer 15 lbs). I don't plan on severing it for 8 hours.

I did preheat a cooler with hot water, wrapped the brisket up in aluminum foil and filled the cooler up with towels. Brisket was 203 before wrapping.

How long can I expect the brisket to stay warm?

If it does cool, how should I warm it up? Should I separate the point and flat before re-warming (I believe my guest will eat up both, so I didn't plan on saving the point for burnt ends).

It will stay warm for hours... But to be on the safe side I would stick a thermo in it and monitor the temp to make sure it is on the safe range. If you need to warm it up at serving time throw it in the oven while it is still wrapped in the foil. I would separate the point and flat when you begin to slice it up. Good luck.... Don't forget the pics.

Last edited:
I agree with L-M. If you have a wireless thermometer stick a probe in it and watch it. If it gets close to 140 then stick it in a warm oven (150 or so) to hold it the rest of the time. I've help briskets and butts for 6 hours and they were still way too hot to touch, so you should be OK, but better safe than sorry!

It depends on the cooler. I have coolers that will keep ice for days and I have coolers that will allow the ice to melt in half a day.

I have a very insulated coleman cooler I use, exclusively, for coolering my meat. Properly wrapped in towels or newspaper I can keep a brisket or pork butt above the "safe zone" for about 7 hours.

Back