Help with my first brisket on MAK

They don’t dry out leaving them in the oven for a long time? I am probably looking at it being done 5- 7 hours before we want to eat if I start at 10pm

You typically are going to wrap for the hold. Being wrapped holds in the moisture...and no they will not dry out...they actually seem to get more moist.

11 hours in and she is at 164f internal temp. Mak is holding steady at 225f when it’s about 40f outside. It got down to 32f last night and pellet consumption hasn’t been near what I was thinking it was going to be. Now I’m thinking about firing up the Lang just to play with fire and have a warm place to drink beer.

Last edited:
7 hours until I want to eat. Think I ought to bump it up to 250f?

Not sure if its out of the stall or not. I just put the probe in it so I will monitor it for the next hour or so to see.

Well after 18.5 hours she was done. I finally increased the temp from 225 to 275 at the 16 hour mark. I have to be honest and say it was ok and I have had better. The point was almost all fat and everything under it was decent but th rest of the flatwas kinda dry. One of these days I will smoke a brisket that I am happy with. Until then I will keep trying.

Last edited:
Well after 18.5 hours she was done. I finally increased the temp from 225 to 275 at the 16 hour mark. I have to be honest and say it was ok and I have had better. The point was almost all fat and everything under it was decent but th rest of the flatwas kinda dry. One of these days I will smoke a brisket that I am happy with. Until then I will keep trying.

That’s a bummer! It looks good! How was the smoke profile? I’ll be honest, brisket is not that high on my list for low n slow meats. Personally, I’ll take beef back ribs, short ribs or tri-tip any day over brisket. Call me strange... lol.

That’s a bummer! It looks good! How was the smoke profile? I’ll be honest, brisket is not that high on my list for low n slow meats. Personally, I’ll take beef back ribs, short ribs or tri-tip any day over brisket. Call me strange... lol.

Were you in the low n slow camp for tri tip, or do you reverse sear like a steak?

I run on smoke for 4 hours then bumped to 225. The last hour and a half I had to bump it up to 275 to get it done. It didn’t have much of a smoky flavor at all. Next time I will stick to a hickory pellet the entire time. I love tri tip but I don’t have any butcher shops around here to cut me one. The one I used closed up unfortunately. I definitely need to get me a knife sharpener. It’s hard to cut thin slices with a semi dull knife. While I’m at it I need to get a good knife as well. Been using a fillet knife which has been working surprisingly well.

Last edited:
I run on smoke for 4 hours then bumped to 225. The last hour and a half I had to bump it up to 275 to get it done. It didn’t have much of a smoky flavor at all. Next time I will stick to a hickory pellet the entire time. I love tri tip but I don’t have any butcher shops around here to cut me one. The one I used closed up unfortunately. I definitely need to get me a knife sharpener. It’s hard to cut thin slices with a semi dull knife. While I’m at it I need to get a good knife as well. Been using a fillet knife which has been working surprisingly well.

Perhaps it’s mentioned somewhere in this thread, but what type of pellets did you use for this cook? A super clean smokiness is one thing I have never found lacking with the MAK...

As to your knife issue, if you don’t want to spend much, I have found the Victorinox knives to be amazingly hard to beat. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. This is my go to knife for 90% of what I do. I also have a cheap little sharpener that keeps this thing razor sharp. I’ve had the knife for at least 5 years now and it’s still going strong.

Victorinox 6.8523.17 Swiss Classic Santoku Knife with Fluted Edge, 7 in, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QCPNWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_haErCbA5NS6TB

The quality of a piece of meat can go a long way in producing a great end product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps it’s mentioned somewhere in this thread, but what type of pellets did you use for this cook? A super clean smokiness is one thing I have never found lacking with the MAK...

As to your knife issue, if you don’t want to spend much, I have found the Victorinox knives to be amazingly hard to beat. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. This is my go to knife for 90% of what I do. I also have a cheap little sharpener that keeps this thing razor sharp. I’ve had the knife for at least 5 years now and it’s still going strong.

Victorinox 6.8523.17 Swiss Classic Santoku Knife with Fluted Edge, 7 in, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QCPNWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_haErCbA5NS6TB

I was using lumber jack hickory. That’s not a bad price for the knife, will probably place an order soon for that and a Ken Onion sharpener.

I was using lumber jack hickory. That’s not a bad price for the knife, will probably place an order soon for that and a Ken Onion sharpener.

That’s my favorite pellet for high smoke. How do the leftovers taste the next day? A lot of times I don’t taste much smoke the day I cook it if I’m around the cooker all day.

Bummer. Believe me, I can relate. Is there any possibility that the flat wasn't completely done yet. Were you probe testing the thick and thin part of the flat? I usually do that so that I know if I've passed done. I try to get probe tender while monitoring both.

That’s my favorite pellet for high smoke. How do the leftovers taste the next day? A lot of times I don’t taste much smoke the day I cook it if I’m around the cooker all day.

I just got done eating some of the leftovers and I have to say, it was definitely stronger than it was last night. Being in the smoke all day and drinking beer all day may have desensitized my taste. Honestly I don’t think I like the brisket as much as other cuts of meat.

Bummer. Believe me, I can relate. Is there any possibility that the flat wasn't completely done yet. Were you probe testing the thick and thin part of the flat? I usually do that so that I know if I've passed done. I try to get probe tender while monitoring both.

They were all done, the point and flat was probed all over and was like butter.

I agree with you. I actually like a good chuckie over brisket. I might feel different if Could afford Prime or Wagyu, but that's another story.

Back